Military (Automotive) Specification Automotive Wiring Harnesses.

NaN

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

But anyway none of us really have need for connectors of that quality accept for bling factor. Weather packs and DTM shit is spendy enough for the hobbyist.

Lol this.

Only reason I know about it is cos my old man just finished building an electric truck, which needs them.

We service alot of the lifting platforms for MAC access here in wellington and they have connectors like that, too bad the rest of the wiring is shit cos they are always fucking out and needing to be pulled apart and repinned. Looks like a cunt of a job cos they have all white wiring with just tiny numbers on them for i.d. purposes.

Mil-spec might be needed when you've got fuck knuckle operators on hired equipment

For what it's worth DTM connectors are 200 times better than Weatherpacks. Weatherpacks can handle more current (can't remember how much, maybe 18A vs 11A or something) but they're also way bigger and a pain to remove pins from when need be. For general plugs DTMs are the way to go. You need a special crimper but there are low cost OK ones available. You also can't heatshrink onto the back of a weatherpack which is required for waterproofing and/or strain relief. For high current work (main power feeds) you can swap to larger DT connectors.

There are three different "capacity" connectors in the Deutsch "DT" family.

DTM - available in 2, 3, 4, 6, 8 and 12 way are rated up to 7.5amps for 24, 22 and 20awg wire

DT - also available in 2, 3, 4, 6, 8 and 12 way are rated up to 15amps for 20, 18, 16 and 14awg wire

DTP are available in 2 and 4 way and are rated up to 25amps for use with 14 and 12 awg wire

There is also a single way connector in the HD family which uses the same terminals as the DTP connector.

The nice thing about the DT connectors is they terminals are not much bigger than the wire so you can easily de-pin a connector (no special tools required) for servicing.  Also the seals are part of the connector (vs part of the terminal on other connectors) which makes crimping and assembly easier.

• Like 2

Often with those top end plugs, the pins are a once only thing. Probably why they are only used once.

You crimp the pin to the wire, then push the pin into the plug, and once you have done that you can't get the pins out. They are designed this way so you never have problems.

The pins in the modern Autosport or milspec connectors are removable with the insert/removal tool supplied with the connector.  The tools are available separately from your favourite mil spec/autosport supplier for under $7 each (green for 22awg, red for 20awg and blue for 16awg).  We get customers complaining that they break easily - they are designed to so you do not damage your far more expensive connector.

Replacement pins and sockets are readily available.  In most cases they are colour coded like with three bands (a bit like a resistor) so you ensure you are getting the correct part.

The older mil spec connectors with solder terminal have fixed terminals.

• Like 1

I know Narva stuff is pretty shitty, but for people on a budget (me), the cimping set they've just started doing, P/N 56513 on this page: http://www.narva.com.au/products/browse/tools is actually pretty good. I think they retail in the $200 range?

I just went and bought one of these, pretty sweet set,was $140 thru BNT

Cheers for sharing the link ProZac