Screw In HT Leads

Rookie

I have the task of fixing my jag this weekend, part of this is dealing with a broken spark plug lead. The problem is they are screw in type and I have no idea how to make it work. Have any of you come across such a thing and are there any tips for young players? any help would be much appreciated, perhaps even the correct name so I can do some googling?

ht_screw-in_terminal.jpg

Try www.mgparts.co.nz

Paul Walbran should be able to help you out with those IF they are still available. I have a feeling they will be unobtanium.

I'm pretty sure you can substitute a standard type HT lead as a temporary measure on those caps but it would be best to get the correct cap for push on style leads and then you no longer have the problem to deal with.

Lucas Screw in HT ignition leads. I have them on my citroen (part of the English built componentry the slough ones had)

http://www.classiccarparts.co.nz/ seem to think they have some according to their website.

http://www.classiccarparts.co.nz/index.php/hikashop-menu-for-module-109/category/74-ht-leads

they may have something long enough

alternatively if you can find someone worth their salt at APPCO (they still market themselves as selling lucas stuff AFAIK you may be in luck. 

my old mak used to have a swag of these to make leads from scratch but has run out of the screw in ones. fml. I want cloth bound ht leads on everything

I've done these before by triming back the lead, drilling a new hole in the cap and re-soldering.

That only works if they are copper leads though. The silicone ones probably can't be soldered but I do recall just splaying out the silicone over the metal cap and that working..

you can buy them on ebay. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Jaguar-3-4-3-8-H-T-leads-Screw-type-cap-DM6-Lucas-Classic-range-/280996842561?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item416cb78c41

I'm sure i have some lucas leads just like that, I found them in a box of new old parts at the rubbish dump. just had a search in the shed. Can't find them... I may have thrown them out but i'll keep looking lol

edit: don't laugh at me but for a temporary/hori fix you could get a normal lead and join your ends to it using wood screws with the heads cut off. I've done it before(for a lawnmower coil) and it works lol. silicon and electrical tape over the join

• 2 weeks later...