Blake's 77' Triumph 2000

Goat

Couldn't find a project discussion for this.

Build thread here

So mods can D-Leet if there already is one.

I somehow missed this before. Looks choice man.

I like the PI idea,

PI is the best thing lucas/the british empire has ever done.

It won't be the metering unit. There is not much that can go wrong with them (unless the vacuum diaphram is broken, which they can do.) These are hard to get a hold of.

Its most likely the petrol pump that is gummy and or slow. This won't build enough pressure to work properly.

Also, it will take AAAGES to start if its dry.

This is what to do to get it running:

• Get a Fully charged battery or two,
  • Drain tank and put in some fresh petrol
  • Give it some fuel lite or ether and crank it over. It should run for a bit. If not, check ignition etc.
  • Once you have it coughing on ether, undo the main pressure feed to the metering unit. It will have 2 steel hoses running into it. The main feed is the big one.
  • Get a buddy to watch while you turn the ignition on. Fuel should come PISSING out. If not it will either be a blockage or fuel pump will be poked.
  • If fuel comes out, connect the feed again
  • Take all spark plugs out (remember what leads go where). This is so the engine can crank over heaps without too much load on starter.
  • Take an injector out of the manifold and put it in a bucket or a glass jar. Get someone to watch while you crank it over. It could up to 5 mins of cranking for it to get fuel out as it has to prime the whole system 1ml of petrol at a time. hah
  • Once fuel starts to spray, put plugs and injector in.
  • Choke on half
  • Start it up
  • Skids/dont cos you'l blow the diff.

If you dont get any fuel out of the injectors, or it wont start/run properly once you do, it could be the diaphram in the metering unit. You can take the back off the metering unit to see the diaphram.

The PIs have a hotter cam. And the PI itbs flow more than twice that of the twin carbs.

From factory they were 153bhp and the twin carb "S" models were 127 or something.

PI rules.

cheers for the help mate, and no there was no discussion thread so now there is  :-) Sweet when i pick the car up ill give it a try, im guessing the guy just said metering unit fault as its easy to blame. I have heard the pumps are dodgy on these anyway, would it be worth using a bosch 044 or the likes, i guess it just has to match the pressure of the original one. wont be a few weeks till im back up there but ill let you know how i get on. Im looking forward to getting it running then stripping it down and pimping out my 2000 slash soon to be 2.5 PI.

Cheers

Blake

• 1 year later...

Much has been happening lately. Got a spare set of struts to cut 2.5 coils off under kk's orders. Got the PI motor home, comp tested it and she's good as so gunna get the injectors cleaned and bang her in, did the tapper clearances today. On a side note, do any of you triumph framers have a spin on oil filter kicking around in a box somewhere? C'mon someone must have!

No two fuel pump Dave, I'm living life on the edge and using the lucas pump, gunna whip up a cooling coil or heatsink for it and put a viton seal in it. Saves the headaches.........maybe not cos lucas.

Saw that Muncie, just don't wanna pay 150 green backs haha

Lucas fuel pump are fine just rebuild it and run a decent gauge wire to it from battery with a relay. Saw a sweet heat sink setup for them using alloy Fins and a cpu fan. Got the triumph tr6 service manual at hand if you need more detail with the pi stuff.

Oh cool that could be real handy, yea I have a bit of plan for heatsink. Don't like the idea of coil as heating the fuel will inherently heat the pump mech and maybe get cavitation. I might get that oil cooler spin on, is that what you run? No trouble using for a 2500 rather than a tr, same engine I know just wondering about chassis clearances etc

• 1 month later...

Pine!

Didnt simon watson have one of these too??

yea this is it!! well simon never really had it, it was his grandfathers, who was the manager of Newton King in wanganui which was the old triumph dealership. After his grandad died it sat idle for ages then Andrew Cobb brought it and thrashed it for a few months then i brought it in like 05/06 i think. Since i restored it its rolled two of Simons families weddings, his and his cousins, the family cream their jeans over it, every now and then at christmas i have taken it down to his folks place and let various family members hoon in it, they love it, a lot of them learnt to drive in it.

• Like 1

Lads! My new inlet/exhaust gasket turned up and I went to put it on but unsure which way around to put it, it has a tin side on one and paper on the other, checking both original motors one was around one way and the other was the opposite which was rebuilt by a mechanic. Confused, please help!

any lads or ladess's got any oil coolers laying around ya wanna part with, my mocal spin on oil filter adapter has the outlet and inlet to run a cooler, and came with -10 oil cooler lines and an oil thermostat so i needa get a cooler, cant affrod to drop like $200 on a fancy mocal one right now, anyone got anything lying around?

• 1 month later...