Looking for some info on a engine swap

jclape

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

For the ecu and wide band  what would you recommend .  the new megasquirt seems like it is a good deal lots of upgrades over the old one also how about a turbo out of a audi or Mitsubishi eclipse will they work or should I just buy new. 

Megasquirt is a good option if you think you have it in you to make it work, I would got for a ms2 on a v3 board, running MSextra code.

For turbos, I'm not sure what your availability of import stuff is but some of the sti wrx stuff is really good.

Twin scroll turbo would be a better option although would mean a custom manifold, keep an eye out for an mitsubishi evo 7-8 onwards unit.

The internal gates work well and the twin scroll helps early spool.. the eclipse stuff would be pretty old /tired these days i would assume.

YEa Megasquirt is cool if you want to learn some stuff, otherwise there are all sorts of other choices over there AEM etc.

Wideband is easy just pick up a the simple innovative gauge/sensor combo on ebay, they are like $150US and will output a linear 5v to whatever ECU you choose. 

Megasquirt is a good option if you think you have it in you to make it work, I would got for a ms2 on a v3 board, running MSextra code.

For turbos, I'm not sure what your availability of import stuff is but some of the sti wrx stuff is really good.

nah i wouldnt do that. microsquirt pretty much does it all, has a better connector and its already made. I only did that because i already had the stuff/didnt know about micro back then

I'm pretty keen to give one of these widebands a go, I have never used one but I would bei nterested to see how it functions compared to the other big names.

Which ones? Innovative? they have been around for ages, just use a Bosch sensor, good gear. Same as AEM cheap and do the job, you pay more and you get more function on the controller, still the same Bosch sensor in most setups. 

I was saying that so that he could upgrade to MS3 later if he wanted, but meh, cats, kill them all the ways...

not to be a noob but this is my first go at a turbo car and engine rebuild so I am still learning what all these are I have very basic knowledge of engines and plan on using the factory manual help me through it until the set up for the turbo then I will be on the forum I am sure .  Just trying to get the necessary and correct parts figured out so I am not trying to while I am building .

Not that I am afraid to deal with wiring more so if there is a easier set up I will definitely try to go that route first to cut out some of the hassle .  .  It is as much a learning experience as it is a project car for me to learn on .  Its a fairly simple car from what I have seen that is kind of the reason for picking it as my first major project.