Looking for some info on a engine swap

jclape

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I just looked it up definitely out of my range of knowledge at this point.  I am looking for a 4agze it looks like.  at least the block to go from there.  just confused on what I will need to make this build successful to many people with different opinions.   Will the transmission hold.

There are plenty of 4age engines with up to and over 200kw with turbo setups in east west format so there should be plenty of info around. The C series transmission will take abit of abuse but you may want to convert to the bigger E series trans if you start braking C's.

As rookie says if you find a 4agze that is the easiest starting point, they will take plenty of boost. The only thing really specific about the 4age short/long block is the pistons, so you can swap these into other 4ages and make something equally as strong. This depends what motors are easy to get for you locally?

Start googling.

I meant rebuilt lol I am going to either buy a block and build a engine ground up or buy the 4agze and sell the super charger and use the rest with a turbo instead..  just figured I can drive it while I rebuild a new improved motor and slap it in when finished.  Looking to do it the easiest way possible honestly.

remanufactured as in rebuilt i take it?   i'd piece together a turbo setup on current engine, rather than swapping it out for 4agze.  but swapping in a 4agze will be easier.

Would just be a blue top though? if you are meaning just boost the fuck out of the stock bluetop I  heartily approve.

Otherwise by the time he tracks down a large big end crank, rods and ZE pistons its probably going to be cheaper and easier to buy a $1600 ZE? with  E series box, charger and loom/ecu its actually a hell of a deal for the USA. Considering a silver top with a gearbox is $1200 lol

yeh, i mean turbo current engine.  if its fresh rebuild, no reason why it can't make a reliable 150kw or so at the wheels. aftermarket ecu and good tune is a must though. c series box should be fine also.   ran over 200kw through mine without any drama. although that was in a lighter fwd chassis

ze ecu will run a turbo setup ok.  the map sensor version does some weird stuff though. the older afm setup is spose to work better.  na ecu is good for no boost.  there are some dodgy tricks to make then run with some boost.   but if you want the it to be hassle free(not megasquirt), last and make good power. aftermarket + good tuner is where its at 

Buy everything you think you will need, *before* you start pulling your car apart, and put the turbo on etc while it's on an engine stand.

Then try swap everything over in one big hit... You wont though as you'll have unexpected problems.

The leading cause of project demotivation is having it sit there for months on end without being able to drive it.

Even if your project is as straight forward as possible (even just gze swap) you're still going to be held up by various things and have the car off the road for a while, if it's the first time youv'e done something like this.

Since it's likely that you would have to spend $$$ to get an engineer to check over your car and what not, have you considered just buying a factory supercharged AW11 if they're available where you are?

Rather than swapping a grunty motor but still having a weaksauce gearbox etc it comes with all of the good stuff with zero hassle.

• Like 1

I can buy a complete engine on ebay for 1800 with the super charger  .  I will have the engine on a engine stand then I can do a rebuild on it from there  while I drive the car .  It will go up as soon as the first snow flake flies any way .  I will work on the engine over winter and hopfully by spring ready to put it in the car .   I shouldn't have to do to much to the engine they say it only has around 50,000 miles on it so it should be good . will compression check the cylinders.  should I have to replace anything on the motor that may cause a issue with the added HP?  also comes with the transmission.