Custom length ignition leads

Gaz

How do you guys go about getting longer ignition leads when moving coilpack? Custom im guessing, anywhere in Welly I can go and an idea of costs would be good?

Have had a look at product on shelf at Repco and SCA but nothing really suitable as they are a stalk/styem type conection to plug.

Engine = X20xev.. Brad what did you do?

Coil Packs were sitting directly at rear of head so OG leads are pretty short. Engine in new car means firewall gets in the way of where the coil packs were mounted so have had to move coil packs onto firewall. Need to extend leads approx 300mm/get new ones/find something that suits.

Chur

Gaz

• Like 1

Making normal leads is piece of piss as you are offering K-tripper but I think what he is after is custom leads with the typical twincam moulded rubber stem of the end, which can be a cunt.

I have had success with some types of stem type leads slipping the original lead out of the moulded rubber stem and replacing it with a generic lead and new crimp on the end. Some this is possible and some not, other way is hunt around for something that fits with a long lead and chop the other end to suit.

dont know if itll work for you Gaz,but my familys trick from back when i was a toddler was to go buy a set of V8 leads(from silvester v8/sydenham park) on moorhouse ave,then shorten and recrimp ends to fit whatever vehicle they were for(usually the parents mk4 cortina).added bonus was having 4 spares for the next time/next vehicle :)

Yeah they got funky ends on em like phil suggests ... http://thumbs1.ebaystatic.com/d/l225/m/m96q48XxJrBByXDjL46-sZg.jpg

Looking at the standard ones Im not too sure how they were crimped on. I think I need to do it properly as once its going I know Ill never get round to getting the correct ones.

Need to be approx 600mm in length +-

Gaz

Making normal leads is piece of piss as you are offering K-tripper but I think what he is after is custom leads with the typical twincam moulded rubber stem of the end, which can be a cunt.

I have had success with some types of stem type leads slipping the original lead out of the moulded rubber stem and replacing it with a generic lead and new crimp on the end. Some this is possible and some not, other way is hunt around for something that fits with a long lead and chop the other end to suit.

Oh yeap so crimp a new end on the coilpack end with KKs crimper, might be the go. Will go try BNT see if they have any more long ones. The spark plug end seems to be relativly specefic.

The longest lead you have should work for a bunch of the cylinders so order some more of them and chop the far end to suit? then possibly only need one custom lead made up? Go check Brads chuv and see what he did? it was ages ago so I can't remember.

Can you order twincam style leads seperate? (I've only seen them in packs) something from like a 2jzge has ultra long leads as the dizzy is miles away from #6 - find the correct length and order 4 of them?

Edit: that may be cunty as twincams all seem to have retardedly different moulding bits. hmm

Dizzy plugs don't matter just chop them off, pretty much all the spark plug tubes will have different lengths and diameters though, have  do some trial and error to find one that will work. You are right though those twincam plugs always seem to come in packs, dealers will do individual I am sure, I'll have a look.

I got 10mm leads custom made by TopGun in Austrailia. Five leads was ~ $140 delivered from memory. I did it all through BNT. Too easy.

It took about ten days and was about five years ago. 10mm leads are worth the extra money just for the bling factor IMHO. If this is for Jute then nothing is too much trouble.

um8h.jpg

If you going to chop the coil end of the leads off, could you just push on some tapered rubber bushes/bungs to sit in the plug tubes? Then fit the coil end of the lead and sorted? I was just thinking about how in science you used to have rubber bungs with glass tubes going through them etc /rangi used

Yeah I did custom ones, but they did have the formed bit on the end for the tall twincam head. I can't remember where we got them from, but if you find a set from a car with coil packs sitting further away that fit in the head you could just shorten them to suit. Only problem is most modern cars run the coils bolted to the engine, so they are usually pretty short.

I put the coils up on the heater cover, so the leads weren't much longer than factory anyway. Could probably have gotten away with factory, but they were tiny and crap. 

ah my 5k  toyota has those leads that seal the hole so water/oil can't get in and i think you can buy the leads seperate from repco.

and Ford ka coil pack is ages away from engine so their leads are fairly long

Sweet done a bit of research now and thse guys are my next point of call in aussie... http://www.magnecor.com/magnecor1/main.htm.

Local BNT used to do them from Aus but havnt done a set for 4 years and the contact they had doesnt work anymore. Will be trying a diff branch also.

The leads all seem to come in packs so that doesnt help but will visit Pick a apart this weekend to see if I can find something to suit. Problem is they all seem to have different boots to seal around the head... typical.

I could mount coils pack on the plastic heater cover and the std leads would almost reach but the standard coil pack is ugly so I have opted to put it to the right on the flat area under the wiper motor (which I have rotated around to clear)... Maybe I will just settle with some normal leads as generally water shouldnt get down there... it is full of oil at present though from previous owner oil change.

Gaz