Hmmmmmmz's Camper Refurb

Guest hmmmnz

not quite finished yet, but pretty close, just some body work and some plumbing to do,

low, im just south of edinburgh city  by 7 miles or so,  eh223el,   umm all te borders are nice,

especially when youve come up from the chaos of england, hit the border and everthing goes quiet, which is a releif if othing else,  its got the matamata rolling hills feel about it

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

wow just wow... all legal begal? nice wun bruv. Once you've been camping in a camper and enjoy those extra comforts that you dont get with tenting you never go back... got the usage of my aunts transit van over the summer and it was awesome, kinda feel stink for the people surrounding us in tents while the rain is coming in sideways but that soon passes, cold beers in the fridge laptop playing movies all lazy mode... sweet as. Well done on this refurb and your display of various brown lemonades...

• Like 1

cheers man, hopefully heading off tomorrow, just got the waste tank in today, yesterday i waterproofed the roof with a fibreous paint type stuff,

and the skylights (cause of all the previous damage), all the cupboards are now lined, bathroom door on, basically the whole week has been doing annoying little shit,

be good to head off, im frigging sick of working on the thing :)

just left belgium, awesome place, not to impressed with brussels, friggin bastards even make you pay to use toilets in fast food resturants,

the main squre was incredible though, and delerium beer cafe was fantastic, over 2000 beer available and about 60 on tap,

i was whacked after 2 or 3 before lunch, friggin 10-14% beers kick arse,

ive decided if i ever have to run away, im going to become a trappist monk and brew beer :D 

(my previous threat to the mrs was, i was going to run off to bangledesh and dive for rocks in rivers (saw it on tv)  but brewing with trappist monks is far more my style ;) )

out of the belgiun cities, gent was my fav, much like brugge with the canals and all that, but less the tourists and tourist prices and a wee bit rougher around the edges,  its a bit of a wellington style in belgium,  the mrs liked brugge though,

currently in luxembourg,  also pretty nice, in diekirch, random little place, at a cheap camp ground,  needed to do the washing, :D

post some pics later  (not of my washing)

ok some photos, actually none of the van,  very friggin slack,  mostly beers which is good :D

some photos of the kiwi bit of tynecot graveyard basically just a list of name of missing soldiers whos bodies were never found

,  so many graves, mostly commonwealth soldiers buried there, but a few brits, and a couple of germans,

IMAG0195Medium_zps3a2d3c3d.jpg

IMAG0197Medium_zps5caeac2a.jpg

IMAG0196Medium_zpsbadfc0e9.jpg

IMAG0198Medium_zpsbf352162.jpg

yeah sad shit,  any way, canals and castles

IMAG0204Medium_zpse32bcc84.jpg

and some nuns getting ice cream,

IMAG0208Medium_zpsbf0bbc4a.jpg

IMAG0219_zps36fe8298.jpg

IMAG0224Medium_zps3a7feb39.jpg

IMAG0232Medium_zpsff7e6f84.jpg

a kiwi bambina

IMAG0228Medium_zps2889383c.jpg

yeah yeah hmmmnz,  beer,

ok

IMAG0221Medium_zpsfd423daf.jpg

my trappist friends

IMAG0210Medium_zpsa1e20995.jpg

IMAG0211Medium_zps9f3e3d3f.jpg

he was quite a delightful fellow, kicked arse at 10.5%

IMAG0212Medium_zpsa0e1c0f1.jpg

a van beer that i had to share  :(

IMAG0215Medium_zps552914a3.jpg

then to delirium bar in brussles,  best thing in brussles

IMAG0236Medium_zpse963a12d.jpg

some of the taps,  just some,  over 50 different ones on site

IMAG0235Medium_zps37b52304.jpg

and a few tasters

IMAG0234Medium_zps48b82c60.jpg

IMAG0237Medium_zps81c2c91e.jpg

2004 beers,  i wish i could have just parked up in there for a few weeks and made my way through some of the delicious stock

IMAG0245_zpsef40be27.jpg

and the ghost in the beer

IMAG0247Medium_zpsbdcc543b.jpg

better in the beer than in the machine

IMAG0249Medium_zpsd9131498.jpg

yeah in luxembourg now,  went to an ace fairytale style castle, and drove about randomly, at a nice little camp site now, will stay here tomorrow as well,  got to do all the laundary,  fix my flat on the bike (fucken bikes,) and see if i can get some larger hose for the shower, so it has enough flow to keep the boiler on (it kind of flares up and switches off, then flares up etc, having to run a second hot tap to keep the hot running smothely)

and im sick of driving a bum day will do me good,  if i can find any decent beers,  seems to be stinkin largers here,  grrrr,  not even 50km from the border and beers gone to shit

• Like 2

will def stop off in london on the way back,

in netherlands at the moment while the mrs is back in scotland at a funeral,  saw my first windmill, still havn't seen any one wearing clogs yet though,

went for a bit of a tour around some local towns with the parents of a dutch mate of mine who now lives in new zealand,  wa pretty cool, nothing like a it of local knowledge,  arh well getting my first home cooked dinner fr a whie, so better go,

• 4 weeks later...

wow been a long time since any sort of update,

well done 8000km so far, been through 12 countries,  drunk far too many beers... (is such a thing possible,  no your right, not possible)

the basic route so far,   

scotland- england- france- belgium- luxemburg- germany- netherlands- germany- austria- litchensteign- switzerland- italy- slovenia- croatia- montenegro

which is where we are now, of all the countries, germany and slovenia have been the best, we just arrived in montenegro so ill hold fire on judgement on that,  but seems cool, they all speak a variation of serbian, which to my ears sounds like russian,  and there are some cool old cars,  some random old yugos  and crotia was a country full of renault 4's  we must have spotted atleast 10 -20 per day,  it became the eyespy  of choice,  even though im driving, i won today 8-4 :D

apart from the cool old cars in croatia, i wasnt impressed with the country,  rubbish every where, including the packed beaches,  and the national parks are run like theme parks, with comparable prices, and there is no freedom camping allowed, which sucked balls, because we found a super quiet lake, in the middle of no where, but because there was no beach or national park nearby, there was no camp ground,  fucken homos,

and to top it off i got clamped in duprovnic,  apparently you arnt allowed to park with in 1km of the old city in a campervan,  i call bull shit!!  but 50 euro lighter, i drove away, 

montenegro seems to be a european version of malaysia, except i dont stand out like dogs balls because im tall and white :D

its just as run down though, despite being a pretty new country,  but the beer is cheap, 2l bottle cost about 1.40euro so $2.80 approx nzd 

ok some random pics

first up a renault 4,  pretty cool cars,  id have one

IMAG0545Medium_zps47633a43.jpg

and a Zastava  basically a serbian fiat

IMAG0537Medium_zps74d46f71.jpg

IMAG0538Medium_zps8f14c5be.jpg

saw this wicked unimog 404 tonight,  i was very tempted to find the owner and get it shipped back for my next camper proect,

but the mrs wouldnt have a bar of it :(

IMAG0588Medium_zps42894de2.jpg

IMAG0591Medium_zps70305133.jpg

even fitted with the original om617 motor (big brother to the om616 4 cylinder thats in my camper)

IMAG0589Medium_zps0d76043e.jpg

seen loads of these t a m trucks, which are also awesome, top speed about 70kmh  but ace in that eastern utilitarian way, made in the formr yukoslavia

IMAG0592Medium_zps0718a4c6.jpg

IMAG0593Medium_zps6d25152c.jpg

you guys dont really want to see scenery so a couple of beers

IMAG0504Medium_zps8d4f2df5.jpg

IMAG0586Medium_zpsc2417efe.jpg

yeah, missed loads of shit but you know how it is,  the mrs has been doing a blog thing, so if you want to see where we and the mighty merc have been,

then click the link

http://blog.travelpod.com/travel-blog/kirstyandlogan/1/tpod.html

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

well long time no pics,

when i last left ya i think we were in montenrgro, 

from there we went into albania, which by far and away is the most 3rd world country ive been to, except every one has merc's,  im talking flash v12 amg mercs, through to the humble 200 series,  even saw a amg sls, but the roads are so bad, soo soo bad, you can barely get to 60kmh on there version of the motorway with out hitting massive potholes,  or cars coming down the wrong side of the fucken road!!!   at one point in one of the cities, there was a car double parked so i passed it on the other side of the road, and while doing that was passed in turn, they are the most retarded drivers!!!   no patience whats so ever,

basically every stolen merc in europe ends in in albania,  no infristructure to speak of and rubbish every where,  any way,  albania - land of stolen mercs and mental drivers, :D

next was macedonia,  which i really liked, roads changed soon as we were over the border,  not great, but no pot holes and the drivers were better,  the country still has that ex communist feel, and there are abandoned towns and massive holiday resorts (we stayed in a couple,  was awesome if a bit creapy))  one we stayed in had a huge man made lake but it was like they gave up maintaining it and the whole resort when they gave up communism,  but free is free so a good night,

a couple of days ago we came into bulgeria, which is the first western feeling place we've been in a while, it still has a bit of the commy stuff, old statues and random Yugoslavian cars,  but western prices, if not worse,   but beer is still cheep,  1.30Bulgarian lev for 2 litres so about $1.10nzd  which isnt to be sneezed at :D

ok some pics,  ill try and stick to cars and shit intsead of boring you lot with "holiday pics"  we all hate that shit :D

the camper in albania

IMAG0660Medium_zpsd279233b.jpg

wicked lada ambo in montenegro

IMAG0656Medium_zpsf233cb90.jpg

the merc at some random hydro lake we camped at

IMAG0619Medium_zps580fb954.jpg

IMAG0617Medium_zpsc5eb6fef.jpg

a pinzgaur,  possibly next camper base???

IMAG0596Medium_zps5c6b3811.jpg

IMAG0595Medium_zps30a51ee3.jpg

some booze i found that was 99.5% alcohol !!!

IMAG0477Medium_zps180005fc.jpg

the top of a mountian road in macedonia  1600meters up

IMAG0706Medium_zps7fe32356.jpg

another lake in macedonia ,  my whole trip seems to be going from one lake to another,  none of them beat taupo though ;)

IMAG0719Medium_zpscba797d1.jpg

possibly one of the coolest citreons ive ever seen

IMAG0726Medium_zpsf0132a6d.jpg

IMAG0727Medium_zpse39577c1.jpg

some polsie fiat 126 awesomeness

IMAG0729Medium_zpsc500587d.jpg

IMAG0730Medium_zps2fa542f0.jpg

that creepy macedonian abandoned holiday resort with the man made lake

IMAG0736Medium_zps50fad0ce.jpg

some cool old rear engined yugoslavian van

IMAG0737Medium_zpsf5cd1510.jpg

one of the thousands of statues in skopje (the capital of macedonia, and possibly the coolest capital cities ever)

IMAG0749Medium_zps3a900568.jpg

a yugoslavian car  fuck knows what it is, in bulgeria

IMAG0765Medium_zps18028a8b.jpg

IMAG0766Medium_zps50fba1bc.jpg

yeah so thats it, another 4 or 5 days here in bugeria then off to romania

• 11 months later...