help me select a new turbo....

eke_zetec_RWD

so i need a new turbo to extend my power levels to about 240kw atw on my turbo pinto. (currently 200kw atw)

it currently uses a IHI vf36 which is a twin scroll bb turbo used on spec c wrx sti, so i want to stick to this configuration as everything it set up around this.

i can pick from kinugawa

tdo5 18g

tdo5 20g

tdo6 20g

tdo6 25g

tdo6 60-1

and in each i think i can get in either 8cm^2 and 10cm^2 exhaust housings.

i currently get 20psi boost at about 3600 rpm and obvisously i would love to keep that but i realise i will loose a few hundred rpm.

also currently on 17ish psi seems to be max efficiency for the vf36, above that at high rpm power doesent really change.

so i think a more efficent turbo should mean more power at higher rpms?

whats your recommendations and please include your reasoning and experiences.

cheers Jason

TD06 20G will flow that easily, but you'll get a bunch more lag. TD05 20G will be the best of the bunch to use, unsure of how well your head flows (Pretty well I'm guessing) but it ought to be able to give you 240kw if you lean on it. Best thing about the TD series is they're cheap to rebuild.

I run a evo 9 Td05 hr but with td06 20g wheels and 10.5 ex housing and its great.. It made a solid 230 kw at 18 psi and had previously only been road tuned. Mazda will get the same turbo... Oh an it makes full boost at around 3200 rpm. Unsure of how subaru turbos compare sorry.

I have a TD05-20G on my VR-4 - it's just the factory TD05 with the 16G wheel binned and 20G wheel and ported compressor housing swapped on. Gave the turbine an 8deg back cut though to help with the flow. I didn't notice much of a lag increase over the standard 16G - full boost comes on around 3200-3500rpms depending on gear. I'm only running 15psi though.

I would look at doing the Evo4+ TD05HRA twin scroll hot side with a 20G compressor/housing upgrade.

should do the VR-4 guys somehow get that power out of 16G TD05s so from a 20G it shouldn't be too much of an ask - it's probably reaching close to its upper efficiency though, probably more the hot-side rather than the cold-side which is why I back cut mine to help.

I've bought a genuine MHI rebuild kit along with an aftermarket 20G wheel and compressor housing to suit from him - took about a week to arrive and his service was good. He must drop-ship because the goods were sent direct from China/Taiwan rather than Japan.

Have you looked at building up a good oem core with oversize wheels rather than a kinugawa unit?

I know which i would rather have..

This guy Steve Murch- Motor Sport Engineering seems to mention similar occasionly and might be worth chatting to

http://www.facebook....6937679?fref=ts

Seems like he does some cool stuff

capturekfh.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Have you looked at building up a good oem core with oversize wheels rather than a kinugawa unit?

I know which i would rather have..

this /\

and murch is the man when it comes to turbos! although he'll try and talk you into a holset, cause there cheap/reliable and make decent power

i run a td05hra-16g in 10.5 hot side and i get 220kw on 17psi...(on sr20) with decent cams my tuner said 245kw shouldn't be a problem, twin scroll fucking rules!! have heard the 20g wheels tent to choke abit with the td05 hot side, but haven't tried it myself