1G oil drip

Hachi-ichi

What's up everyone, hope Christmas is going well for all.

Been planning on getting it sorted for a while but before I do I thought I may see what others reckon.

My 1G-GE (redtop) has a small and constant oil drip thats been going some months now, the oil coagulates around the sump and pools around sump bolts also. It did start after my first oil change to the car so I am thinking that not using a genuine filter may have something to do with it. I have heard it could be rear crank case seal or sump gasket too.

do any 1G owners have any ideas/ experience with oil drips from 1Gs?

I have heard too that these motors just do this inherently and its extremely common, not that i want to ignore it.

Cheers

Michael

Constant oil drip. It did start after my first oil change to the car

I would take a closer look at everything that you have touched.

Check that the oil isn't weeping from the sump plug (degrease the area around it and monitor). Did you use a sump plug washer? If not, use one.

Also, the oil filter seal may have been slightly pinched as you spun the filter on, though this is unlikely given the calibre of leak you described (plus, it's a real hassle to take it off and check). Again, clean up the oil around these areas first, then watch to see where it's actually leaking from. You may end up finding that there is/isn't a trail of oil from the filter down to the sump, which will narrow it down.

I'm no 1G expert, but I find it unlikely that it'd be the rear main seal. More likely to be leaking via the sump gasket or the sump plug.

Thanks for the advice.

i'll get a sump plug washer as it didn't even have one from when I bought the car.

also yeah I think before I continue I better invest in some degreaser. I am lucky i have small arms as getting to a 1G oil filter is one of the hardest oil filters to reach. I have bought a genuine filter from NST now so in about 1000 ks on next change, ill get rid of the ryco thing anyway if it is the problem, that and i'll give the filter seal an inspection to see if it is pinched. Other if not that then its probably going to be sump gasket/sealant I reckon