Ke70 wagon diff upgrade

beachlander

Been thinking about what i could do with my diff in my panel van after the s series eventually shits itself.

I know people have used hilux diffs in the past, but i think that would be a bit overkill as im only running a 4age and they are pretty bloody expensive.

Been searching the interwebs and found some people use t series diffs out of coronas/ae86s etc.

Would this be a good upgrade over the standard diff? I know the variety of diffs is a lot better, LSDs etc. Also, what sort of cost would it be to convert a t series to leaf springs? And where would be the best place to get it done?

Cheers,

Kurt

i dont know any toyota diff codes but read on rotahavik that ya use a diff out of a toyoace from the late 80s to early 90s era as they are strong'ish and are 15ish mm longer than standard dx diffs. but in saying that a mate kept blowing dx diffs in his 13bt rotary sedan until he changed diff angle and driveshaft angle and now has no problems.

Hey dude, if your keen I got a spare T series housing that was off a Ta22, so its a tad longer than the ke35's 1356mm wide diff or something. I'm in Auckland, you'd just be needing a diff head, your brakelines and some brake housings for it. I maaay be able to help you out with a diff head with a 4.1 ratio but unsure what my 4.8 will be like... Weld on your leaf spring mounts and your set...

Leaf spring E series from a 2wd liteace/townace should bolt straight in AFAIK and will be plenty strong for a 4age.

Theres no LSD available for them but if its just a dori hack then a locker would be the best bet.

Getting a decent F series LSD would mean going to a mechanical 2 way which will set you back $1500ish to get the diffhead set up

• Like 1

F series if you can find one. i ended up with a dana 30 from a volvo 244.

is 10mm shorter than ke70. is not as heavy as a hilux.

comes with disc brakes too.

and because it is a dana diff there is a huge selection of lockers and lsd's for them from the 4x4 guys.

i had a b1600 diff that i ran behind my 4age ke35 for a while, just an open spinner. you can get the later model lsd to fit them etc, it was pretty tuff! i sine's upgranded to hilux rear, i welded on 2inch steel blocks to the housing, used the b1600 u bolt and shock plate, and used b1600 shocks. never looked back, hooks up mint and even do track days in it!

i know that ke70s use the same diff housing,head,shocks etc so sould work on a dx!

if you cant aford a hilux, go f series az they have good lsd options and come with disc brakes(ae86) drums(ae85) same stud patten

just cut the mounts off and remake new ones for leaf sping ke70, i think the f series came out in the 80s ceilca and JAP SPEC corona azwel

hope that helps

An estima diff will need shortening a fair bit, there close to 1500mm drum to drum

the ones i saw at p-a-p bout a month ago were all 1450, factory ke70 is 1400, so 25mm a side, which is nothing really and will make skinny wheels still look decent... gay stud pattern but kurt shouldn't have a problem fixing that, ta22 is ~1355 so shorter than ke70