Intercooler piping question

sgtjackass

So the kit arrived from redline. $150 bux included so much stuff, clamps joiners and pipe.

Removed all the 1.5 - 2inch crush bent piping. Who the f**k puts 1.5 inch crush bends on an intercooler.

2 hours later- had to cut most of the pipes to fit, and had to holesaw a 3" hole through a panel but too easy. Bumper even fit perfectly

So its all 2.5 inch now, and i honestly recon I doubled the power. It lights up all four really easy now. Couldnt be more stoked how it worked out.

Cheers for everyones help

The 1.5-2" crush-bent piping seems to support the factory 250hp they make OK? My VR-4 Evo has 2" piping at its smallest section and only one large radius crush bend and it still seems be be OK for a 20G turbo to not have much more lag than the original 16G turbo. Although I would like to replace some of the piping and enlargen the intercooler end tank inlet/outlets.

The piping was absolutely tiny. And not factory. SOme/most of the joiners were kinked and some had gotten holes in them, so they had just wrapped another one on top. Im glad the whole car isnt 'modified' to such a poor standard. The 2.5" piping gave more response and less lag.

Pipe contact area increases in proportion to diameter. Velocity decreases in proportion to diameter squared. Friction force is proportional to velocity squared (but also reynolds number, which contains a velocity term).

So yeah, frictional losses will be decreased with a bigger pipe.

• 4 months later...

From ozgemini forums

Hey all...

Got this idea from another forum. This is a home made bead roller for your intercooler piping. Of course you can drop a couple of welds onto the outside edge of the pipe. However not everyone can ally weld if you are using ally pipe' date=' and this is an easy method to produce a proper neat bead.

This tool will make a bead in mild steel pipe as well but takes a little longer. I tried 2mm aluminium tube and also 2mm steel/chrome exhaust end with great results from the aluminium tube, but was much harder to work with the exhaust ends, so I gave up on them. If you were to use normal 1.6mm mild steel exhaust tube then there would be no dramas. For the sake of the thread, my pipe is 2.5"OD.

1 large set of vice grips - $12

1 exhaust clamp (size to suit your pipes) - $3

1 large washer - 30c

Note the large washer in the picture below is not the one I ended up using. Weld the exhaust clamp together back to front.

20130426_180205_zps4778e964.jpg

Weld them together as pictured below...

20130426_182759_zps99655463.jpg

20130426_182806_zps1dc89be5.jpg

20130426_182815_zps7dc9b086.jpg

I did 2 passes around each end of this elbow. Tighten the vice grips a little after each pass to make a deeper bead...

20130427_180437_zps2d04df1f.jpg

20130427_180359_zps62d41baa.jpg

Hope this helps anyone setting up their intercooler plumbing...

8)