MX73/GX71 BC Coilover Setup Help

Fresh

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry for the gap in update but have had about 5 1am nights in a row getting ready for cert. Shes had a once over and pretty much all sorted bar the coilovers snapping when I arrived at cert! Turns out the 60mm shorter ones BC sent me that were for a skyline(and I stress I put these in at my own risk) were not designed to take the angled stress of my setup. But all is well and still had the other inserts so they bolted back in and drove her home.

2011-12-10135311.jpg

2011-12-10112111.jpg

Thats mx73 struts with skyline inserts in a RX30

Funny you mention this for the front sus. I got mine off BC and after install told them it didnt go anywhere low enough.He mentioned there was another customer with the same issue. He said he supplied skyline inserts and hadnt heard back so assumed it was all ok.Was obviously yours as he said it was in Welly. He supplied me with skyline inserts and the rest is history^^^

Oh the Day i came and saved you nathan was a good Day.

I would be very wery if they are the skyline inserts, because as you can see, they are not up to the task.

Nathan Came up with another way of getting it lower by having the bottom of the Stbs machined out from memory. he would be able to tell you more.

It was like being saved by a rugged angel.

But yeah check how thick the insert shaft is and if it is thin like my above pic then be careful. I find it weird that this is the third person to not get it to go low enough with a setup built for your model. Mine does/doesnt count being the wrong model but its the same length shock etc so should have slammed it. Grrrr BC.

sorry for the dumb question but why has the insert had to bend over so much? I got mine off redline up here in auckland so il have a talk to them about it and see what they can do but yeah like you said it is pretty dissapointing to spend all that money plus welding and crack testing only for them to not even go close to low.

sorry for the dumb question but why has the insert had to bend over so much? I got mine off redline up here in auckland so il have a talk to them about it and see what they can do but yeah like you said it is pretty dissapointing to spend all that money plus welding and crack testing only for them to not even go close to low.

I got mine off Redline too.They are bent because they are snapped. Both sides did it as well. Only on a 15 minute drive.

I should really find out what inserts I have. Do you think there would be much difference between rx30 and gx71 as far as stresses go??

I wouldnt say there would be much difference at all. Almost identical suspension. Im actually running GX61 brakes and lower arms etc so my sus setup is even closer to yours. Only thing I can think of that maybe different is the bottom arm was 10mm longer. Which allows more camber(not on purpose) which may slightly have altered the stresses.

But then again if you have been driving around and it hasnt happened yours maybe more upright? At the end of the day IF it has Skyline inserts they are still not designed to take all the forces. Skyline front suspension has different arms to support horizontal movement. The insert from the Skyline I used(and maybe yours) is only designed to take up and down forces. Our suspension asks it to do everything and mine said no haha. So you might be ok until you take it to a track or corner hard. Who knows.

So yes from experience I would recommend you find out.

I have done 500km minimum. Havnt driven it overly hard but have taken it around some fairly bumpy back roads round the Wellington region. Makes me nervous though hearing about inserts snapping. Im pretty sure we swapped them. I definatly didnt pay $800

Nah left it. They supplied the shocks when mine didnt go as low. If they were fine then I was to ship the stock ones back. But 15 minutes later, snap. I actually asked what the skyline ones were going to cost me but he said they would sort it. So I just put my ones back in. I guess I should have called them and told them so they didnt continue to hand out the same inserts. But also as mine was for an RX30 and not for what they were made for(even though identical) I just let sleeping dogs lie.

Interesting. I'm not sure now, I guess I might give them an email and talk to them. Might be able to get a skyline insert or similar that will have a ticker insert shaft. Will be good to know what inserts you are running in your 71 cress. Also what did you actually do to your stub axles to get more height out of the standard struts.

Also the second shot looks dodgy but has been done properly. The old shock was machined out and the top was machined down about 50mm from memory so the BC slid down where the old body was. Was then tiged to the cast at the top and the bottom. The guy that did it has an amazing set up. CNC machine in his workshop out the back of his house haha. He does the majority of stockcar stuff around NZ. From memory was $120 to get the second part done only because he had to machine out the first lot he did.

One thing I remember was we got an 80mm difference. (By we I mean he)