MX73/GX71 BC Coilover Setup Help

Fresh

Have got some BC adjustables installed in my GX71 and all is well apart from an issue I discovered the other day.

When trying to do a burn out the rear end gets some pretty wild axle tramp. Now this doesnt really make alot of sence since its IRS but it feels like the wheels are bouncing up and down off the pavement.

One thing that came to mind when installing the BCs in the rear was how to set the shock height. And I am wondering if the shock is set too short/long and may be putting a lot of preload or whatever on the rear and causing the tyres to bounce.

GX71 has a separate shock and spring setup. The spring is height adjustable and this is what I have been adjusting to set the height of the car. The shock is also height adjustable but I have no idea what height it should be set at. Does anyone have any guidelines on what height the shock should be set at? I figure there must be a way of getting it relative to the height of the spring.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

OK sweet. So captive when the wheels are jacked off the ground and hanging?

I just jack the arms up with a Jack until the mount lines up with the shock and then slam the shock on. I guess I may have been putting the spring under a decent amount of tension before securing the shock.

Will try just jacking the arm until the spring is just tight enough to not move and then adjust shock height to slide onto mount.

I have the same setup and would like to know the same thing. I think you set you ride height and then move the shock to the point where it keeps the spring captive. Mine seems to drive fairly nice but it would be good to know

fuck yea, is yours on decent width/offset Hayashi streets?

Sweet wheel to get in the sort of config, must have been hard to find/pricey

Looks tops!

Think I'm doing the same set-up in my X61 markII, (did you guys use AE stuff or model specific??)

has the rear set up actually got quite a decent amount of adjustment in it?

Did it need to be modified in the rear also to suit the X70 series chassis?

Played around with mine ages ago and found the spring seats on the lower arms were just too large in Diameter

for the BC adjustable springs seats to sit over them.

Thought an alloy spacer convertor-type thing would be trick/ideal for sorting it by sitting between the two and lining it all up

but wasn't sure if it'd be too much work for the payoff or actually quite feasible?

Old man an engineer with alot of his own machinery, but materials (alloy) might be fucking spendy

Nah man you can get X73/X71 BC stuff thats designed specifically. Only thing you need to do is cut off the bottom of your factory front struts (so you have the wheel hub assembly etc) and get them welded onto the bottom of the BCs. Everything else is straight bolt in.

Rear adjustment has a spring that sits in an adjustable hat so you can change the height. Also has an adjustable height shock with 30 points of dampening adjustment.

Front is just what you would expect in an adjustable coil over. Camber, body heieght adjustment, spring height adjustment/tension, 30point dampening.

Not sure how similar X61 is to X71 but I would imagine it is pretty similar. Much more similar than AE.

EDIT:

Heaps of adjustment, I can make the back so low the diff scrapes just from the shallow angle of the road. And I could make it pretty close to factory height as well.

Fronts didnt go low enough when I first got the welding done. Ended up getting an extra 40mm cut off the BC and rewelded which let me go low enough (chassis is 50mm off the ground at lowest setting). If I wound them right up I could probably get it pretty close to factory height.

I have the same setup and would like to know the same thing. I think you set you ride height and then move the shock to the point where it keeps the spring captive. Mine seems to drive fairly nice but it would be good to know

fuck yea, is yours on decent width/offset Hayashi streets?

Sweet wheel to get in the sort of config, must have been hard to find/pricey

Looks tops!

Think I'm doing the same set-up in my X61 markII, (did you guys use AE stuff or model specific??)

has the rear set up actually got quite a decent amount of adjustment in it?

Did it need to be modified in the rear also to suit the X70 series chassis?

Played around with mine ages ago and found the spring seats on the lower arms were just too large in Diameter

for the BC adjustable springs seats to sit over them.

Thought an alloy spacer convertor-type thing would be trick/ideal for sorting it by sitting between the two and lining it all up

but wasn't sure if it'd be too much work for the payoff or actually quite feasible?

Old man an engineer with alot of his own machinery, but materials (alloy) might be fucking spendy

Yea man thats my Vvti 1uz mx73. Those were just Rota Shakotans 15x9 0p all round with 25mm spacers and 195/55/15 tyresstretched on. Looking around at JDM wheels at the moment. Had my eye on some 14x9.5 Volk mesh. My BCs sit chassis on ground because we changed the inserts to something else.

Where did you see my car? Has hardly been driven as its not certed yet

Just asked the exact same question on garage dori about those bushes. This is without a doubt the most handy thread on here right now haha. Ryan gave me a number fir a guy that I can't remember right now but I'm sure he will post again. I haven't even played with the rear of mine yet.

@nzcress, how did you get the front of yours so slam so much? Are you running the same bc's or an ae86 set with a spacer in the front? This was my plan originally before I saw the mx/gx ones available.