Mini not starting for no apparent reason...

SP450andLE

So after putting the refurb'd head on the Mini, it isn't starting.

It has fuel and spark, the plugs and points are gapped correctly, the timing is right; plugs, points, condensor,coil and plug leads are new, rotor and dizzy cap are near new. I've also checked the earths, and they're allgood.

It is just turning over nice and easy, not even coughing like it wants to start.

Suggestions?

If you have spark and fuel, something is seriously wrong. How did you check?

How I'd normally do it is just throw some petrol down the carb, if it starts then you'll have a problem at the carb or fuel pump. I'd blow out the jets etc with compressed air and take the fuel line off and hold your finger over the hose and crank it over, if it doesn't push your finger off and squirt fuel everywhere, then the pumps fucked.

I'd check spark by holding the plugs against the engine, do all 4 to make sure. Back track through the leads to the dizzy to find the problem.

You say the timing etc is all good, so if you've done both of those things and it still doesn't go, then your engine is completely fucked?

Did you put the pushrods in when you put the new head on? :lol:

Woah. Have taken fuel hose off, pump is pumping steadily. When taking plugs out, they smell of fuel. When I took the carb off before, it had fuel in the throat. Put a spare carb on and made no difference. Have tested spark at end of leads. Leads are all correct order as far as I can tell. Will try testing plugs for spark on engine, and chucking some fuel down carb after I have cleaned it all out.

Oh, and didn't flood it. And yeah, I did put the pushrods back in. I would have noticed them laying round getting in my way otherwise :lol:

Tryin to start it can foul the plugs in about 5 seconds, 1st thing i'd do is clean or replace them and have another go.

I rebuilt a Mini the other week and the plugs fouled after it didn't start 1st up and they were brand new.

Since everything else is good I'd start there.

Do these things in this order...

Clean the sparkplugs.

Check for spark at the plugs leads NOT the coil lead.

Test compression by putting your thumb over each plug hole - one at a time and get someone to crank the engine. (or if you use a gauge should be over 120psi per cylinder - don't worry about even-ness at the moment - just making sure you have compression is enough to get it running)

Check static timing - set to 5degrees BTDC

Check that it is firing on number 1 by rotating the engine to TDC. The inlet and exhaust rocker to valve clearance should be noticeable by hand without moving the engine.

Check the position of the rotor and identify which outlet on the distributor cap it points to. (the HT lead will go from here to number one cylinder)

Going anticlockwise they should go to cylinders 1-3-4-2 respectively.

If they are all OK then tip a shot glass of fuel down the carb mouth before starting and it should fire right up..

Right, chucking fuel down the carb resulted in it coughing away.

So turns out the carb must just be semi blocked and is only giving a tiny bit of fuel to the engine (enough for mt to think it was all ok). Spare carb must have also been pooped.

So will get carb cleaned out and working right.

Hopefully will be going by the weekend! :D