Mig Spool gun for Aluminium - Any good?

mjrstar

My new mig is set up to be able to run a spool gun, I have been considering getting one to see if it's of any use. I was just wondering if anyone has had success welding aluminim and if so down to what thickness and what gas did you use. At this stage I can't justify splashing out on a Tig and the idea of the spool gun is for the occasional 1 off aluminium job, with the possibility of gluing up a bit of stainless from time to time as well. If they are a waste of time / no good i will just spend the money on beer...

My assumption was that if aluminium mig was totally awesome/quick/easy then everything you get from China/everywhere else would be migged not tigged, but the majority of stuff you see (such as radiators intercoolers and catch cans appear to be tigged)

Cheers

Matt

We've got a couple of these at work - good for spot welding and nice big structural welds but not for pretty stuff. Saying that you can lay down some nice welds but making sure everything is super clean makes a big difference along with getting enough argon flow or else it'll carbon up like a bitch. I can weld down to about 1.2mm with it and not have to clean up too much.

Pulse mig is better and we basically use this more than a tig these days other than the criticle work that you only get one go at and has to look mint where the tig is still used.

I did a bit of a youtube search and there seems to be a method of basically stacking a whole bunch of tack welds in close proximity which seemed to leave a resonable result..

I guess I could get one and give it a hoon, even if it was just used for tacking suff up and then i can take it to a mate of mine to give it the Tig treatment..

what size mig will it be on?

basically for industrial alloy engineering like boats and trailers. wouldnt really use for car stuff.

some of the newer pulse migs work very well with them. using one on a normal mig can produce nice welds in the right hands though.

save for a ac dc. my 2c

this 200A machine..

XA-MIG200C-MTS.jpg

http://www.esseti.co.nz/xamig200cmts-mu ... -p-98.html

The plan was to get a spool gun for very occasional tinkering with the likes of inter cooler / radiator mounts, inlet manifolds etc..

The added plan with the spool gun was being able to swap out for a mini spool of stainless wire without having to stuff around with a 5kg roll - if the need for burning some holes in stainless was to arise.

you don't wanna to mix metals in the same gun/liner, small particles are always left over and stuff your future welds, wenever i have used alloy mig (not a fan btw, other than taking) we have had two separate handle/gun/liner, that and having to buy argon just makes it uneconomical IMO

s/s works sweet with argosheild, haven't tried it with alloy, but judging by the difference in welds it won't work the best EDIT: confirmed above its a no-go