Llama's 1974 CB200 Bobber/Brat Project

Vintage Grumble

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmm, may be tempted on CG offer. We will see how much the missus takes up riding.

So, the bike now runs fine again.

The two main issues were: one side of one float was slightly bent, and so it would foul the bowl and partially close the needle valve, causing one side to run lean. (this was a **** to find).

The new points I got are bad (no idea why, they look fine to me), swapping back to the old ones fixed the misfire under load.

WOF REG TIME YAR

Did you clean the points contact surface before installing them?

Ah, I was wondering if you had to do something like that.

I gave them a scuff with emery paper+contact cleaner, but nothing too vigorous. 

What's the normal procedure? 

Ok so went in for inspection yesterday.

Failed on: front parking and high beam indicator light n/w

Speedo not working (although it was when I drove it there, have yet to have a look.

The Muppet left my lights on so I pushed it home (wrong side of busy road right next to cop shop so didn't want to bump start).

Also have to get brake compliance thingy and forge a letter from the last registered owner

You don't need a Brake declaration if it have been registered before '91, and they should just give you a ownership declaration form that needs to be sighted.

Also my speedo stopped working, turned out to be the drive in the hub, I just filed the drive edges square again and gave the tabs a bit of a tweak and it was all go again.

You don't need a Brake declaration if it have been registered before '91

Interesting, I suppose the shop still would have taken my dosh. Chur for that muchly.

Managed to track down the old owner anyway, after cold calling the other guy with the same name in Dunedin, and he is going to post me a letter of sale.

Speedo also was still working today, duno what he was on about. Just the lights and waiting on a letter to finish, whee!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Compliance passed!

Fixed the light issues, took it out for a run in the wet to a handball tourney. Went beautifully, almost crapped my pants going over the bridge in the wet and wind though. Was just coming down my street and it started running on one cylinder. Bad spark? Nope. Floats getting stuck again? Nope. Turned out the vibrations had rattled the nut holding the choke leaver in place, so the choke valve had slipped off the leaver and gotten stuck full on. Ah well, quick fix I guess after all the hunting. 

Just waiting on the lady at NZTA to get the plate made live again so I can register it, but it has a WOF so ima ride it like a boss/pansy anyway.

So yeah, big thanks to everyone one who has helped so far with advice and gear.

DSC_0016.jpg

No real plans for it at this stage, aside from maybe functional upgrades like LED lighting and electronic ignition. I'll be focusing on getting the other engine running then making something sweet out of that +the other frame and bits I have. This quite tickles my fancy.

61_3_13.JPG

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

Well, haven't been doing much on this aside from ride it as much as I can.

Some figures for future reference:

Gets 24km/L,  4.1L/100km or around 57mpg.

Tank goes onto reserve at ~175km, which is pretty good.

All in mixed city conditions. I realise cars typically have better mileage on straight open roads/highways, however I'm not sure if this would be the case given I'm at WOT to do 100km/h in a light breeze?

Anyway, gets up to 100 fine if there is no breeze, however across the causeway on SH16 90kmh is more typical.

Total expenditure so far inc purchase and compliance = $1600. Throw in a bit more for a helmet and rego (pricey until next year) and I'm quite happy with my investment.

yeh that's sounds right. ie my 10 litre tank on fzr 250 would last between 120 and 200+kms depending on how it was riden

and yeh with no fairings and a small engine you guna struggle on the open road. It prob gets better milage around town

• 2 months later...

Boooring picless update, however I've been working on a CDI module for this.

Hall effect sensor acquired and working, I'm currently making a trigger wheel. Would replacing the mechanical advance help too? The advance curve on the CB starts at 3600 and ends at 7200rpm.

How does one go about sizing coils? Higher resistance gives lower drain, but aside from that I have no idea what I should be looking for.

• 1 month later...

Well, this has been an exciting? week for me. Last Friday after arriving at work I noticed that my left hand pillion peg was missing, presumed shaken loose somewhere. Further inspection revealed that this also held the bracket that supported to the muffler, which had caused this nice crack.

DSC_0061.jpg

I figured it had probably been like that for a while, so I'd be OK getting home for the weekend to fix it.

Turned out  I was wrong, this happened on SH26. Sounded like a out of (or in?) tune harley all the way home. Sooooo loud.

DSC_0062.jpg

I was busy all weekend, so spend late Sunday night in a panic getting it fixed. Cue the worst welding in the world, as my auto-dimming mask decided to die, so I was using a shade 12 fixed mask...

DSC_0063.jpg

DSC_0064.jpg

New set of mufflers is going to cost $500, so I'm looking at aftermarket and cheapo reproduction ones.

Further vibration woes have ensued, I lost the rear engine mount nut last night, which also holds the earth lead. Probably a good thing the bike died, as I didn't realise what the actual issue was until this morning and it would not have been good driving around like that. The bolt moved out and started hitting the chain, which made me uber-panic because it sounded like I'd dropped a valve or gear or something. Is currently sitting where I'm flatting until I get it home for the weekend to put back together (can't get it back into alignment without loosening the other ones, don't have any tools or garage where I am).