fuel system advice

ta63-1uzze

My viva had 1/4 line to feed its 50bhp heart. I put in 5/16 for the rotary and I consider that really only just enough. It's not just whether the line can take the flow. Sure a good pump might just be able to push through enough petrol to feed your engine but the pump WILL be working extra hard against the resistance.

Why not just make it easier plus future proofing the car.

Your pump will thank you for it.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So 8x 300cc = 2400cc. per hour ???

Max 10psi of boost pressure opposing the fuel injectors

7 to 6mm id hose , aprox 3m length, assuming that there wont be a prerssure drop across this hose as in theory its just a hydraulic setup ?

All this information must help me to find out what the id of the supply pipe I will need , and also if the minimum the fuel pump needs to flow ??

Ive just skimmed through the previous posts and I cant see where the flow of the fuel pump is given? This is what you need to know if you are to work out the pressure drop through given line sizes.

p.s. If you need bundy tubing, we sell it. 5/16 would be a shade under $12/metre.

edit. I just spoke to a work mate who designs fuel systems. We sell fuel systems through our speed shop. I descibed your set up and he recommended the following.

suction from tank to pump. 5/8 (-10)

fuel line from pump to fuel rail. 1/2 (-8)

return to tank. 3/8 (-6)

This would be for an engine making 400 hp or more. He also noted that the bosch pump may be a little on the lean side. PM me if you would like to speak directly about this and I will forward you his number.

Awesome info thank you, yes I found out the fuel line in my car from factory is 7mm internal diameter and that 3/8 is 7.6 internal diameter so that wouldn't have been much of a upgrade at all. But 1/2 will be so just working out cost involved for that and trying to find out if the pump will be up to the task .

Awesome info thank you, yes I found out the fuel line in my car from factory is 7mm internal diameter and that 3/8 is 7.6 internal diameter so that wouldn't have been much of a upgrade at all. But 1/2 will be so just working out cost involved for that and trying to find out if the pump will be up to the task .

Let me know what you need re. hose, fittings, tube and or pump and I can sort you out with some good discount. Based in Penrose.

Cool , will do . Someone mentioned alloy pipe before , will do some research into that today it may be a clearance easy way to bend and fit instead of the expensive copper nickel stuff. Any one used alloy pipe or have any positive or negatives when using it?

just man up and use bundy, its a mind-fuck making fuel lines, but once its done you never have to worry again, just go 3/8" all the way

in my experience when you run a smaller return line you end up with fuel pressure in the rail creeping up the when the car is turned off and pump is running because you cannot return enough fuel to the tank when the engine is using little or no fuel, unless you have a crap pump, and a genuine 044 is a pretty mean pump (there are lots of fakes out there tho!)

just man up and use bundy, its a mind-fuck making fuel lines, but once its done you never have to worry again, just go 3/8" all the way

"fuel line in my car from factory is 7mm internal diameter and that 3/8 is 7.6 internal diameter so that wouldn't have been much of a upgrade at all"

this is why i am not just going to throw any old Bundy tube in my car! nothing about maning up more about finding out sound good information so its right the first time .i would have been pissed if i have just put 3/8 in as its only 0.6mm bigger ID than the tube that is factory in my car. would have wasted allot of time and money for nothing .

i will be looking into Andy's idea as it sounds allot better , i am consulting with the car tune company as they will be tuning it and they will know what works and what doesn't.

suction from tank to pump. 5/8 (-10)

fuel line from pump to fuel rail. 1/2 (-8)

return to tank. 3/8 (-6)

This would be for an engine making 400 hp or more. He also noted that the bosch pump may be a little on the lean side. PM me if you would like to speak directly about this and I will forward you his number.

Spot on. Great information man thankyou. Have pmed you regarding connectors .would like to come in and will bring charger and fuel rails etc do it all nicely with branded hose etc. Thanks .