LED + resistor assemblies in parallel

lowlancer

Thats fine

to expand further (if you really want to know/waste 5 minutes)

all the resistor does is 'eat up' the remaining voltages and turns it into heat.

however much current flows through the resistor, flows through the LED.

Current is dictated by Current = Voltage/Resistance

LEDs have a set forward voltage drop, this does not change

If you have a 9V battery, and a LED with a forward voltage drop of 2.5V, you need to 'eat up' (9-2.5=) 6.5V with a resistor.

If you want the LED to run at 25mA, you need to calculate what that resistor should be, so resistor value = voltage/current, 6.5V / 0.025A = 260 Ohm

The problem with batteries is, that if you now use a different battery, of 10.2V (or whatever it may be) you end up with more current because

10.2 supply - 2.5 forward voltage drop = 7.7 V to 'eat up' by the resistor.

So with a 260 Ohm resistor, you have current = voltage / resistance so 7.7 / 260 = 29.6mA instead of 25 so the brightness changes as well and you could blow up LEDs if you aren't careful

yes, you are correct kind sir, but if this was going to be used daily for a long time, the extra time spend on some LM317s would have been worth while... but yeah, for a 3 minute demonstration of some sorts, it's too complicated

Having a mare with this. Wired it all up but they were super super dim. So went back to jaycar and got the brightest LEDs they have ($$$$). But still super dim.

I feel I may have fucked the resistors up. If I need a 200 ohm resistor, is that "200k"? Or does that ended up being like 100 times too much?

Shit me that was an intense couple days. Got it finished a bit late but managed to sneak into the critique without anyone noticed. Went last, got zero negative remarks

Spent $200 on this fucking thing though. Damn crafts/my ineptitude.

Cheers HEAPS guys