Brake plumbing help

SOHC

Hello

I am doing the brakes in a car I have been building for a wile, I have a Jag IRS diff with inboard disk brakes and 1954 Customline Drum brakes on the front, don't laugh. I have a Holden HQ master tandem cylinder, one port on the master cylinder has a residual pressure valve and the other dosn't

My question is can I run the line witch was originally for the HQ rear to my now front drum brakes?

Normally the rearmost port (closest to the firewall) is normally the front brakes..

I was wondering could I run it the other way round? as one port has a residual pressure valve, I want that line to go to my drum brakes

So you have a jag diff with disc brakes and deuce front drum brakes...

Hmmmmm

I mean Juice as in hydraulic, Couldn't afford proper Ford Deuce Coup style brakes, but yer drums on the front and disks on the back, hope i can run the master cylinder with the lines going in revere.

The car originally had mechanical brakes, now they run on juice

Are you running a booster? I think you may end up with brake balance issues here.

Nar the front drum brakes are self self energizing, don't need a booster. An adjustable proportioning valve fitted in the rear brake line will fix the balance issues

I've owned hot rods and worked on cars for a good 20 years now and can't say I have ever come across a drum front, disc rear setup.

It MAY work, but something in my head just screams WAIT! - I think the only way you will get a decent brake pedal out of this is if you do some calcs and get the master cylinder bore suited to the brakes.

Just chucking an HQ master cylinder on there seems like a bit of a stab in the dark to me.. It may work by fluke but the chances of it being right and getting a good brake balance is low..

But hey - I've been wrong before and will be wrong plenty more times before I die.. Would love to see how this works out.

I've owned hot rods and worked on cars for a good 20 years now and can't say I have ever come across a drum front, disc rear setup.

It MAY work, but something in my head just screams WAIT! - I think the only way you will get a decent brake pedal out of this is if you do some calcs and get the master cylinder bore suited to the brakes.

Just chucking an HQ master cylinder on there seems like a bit of a stab in the dark to me.. It may work by fluke but the chances of it being right and getting a good brake balance is low..

But hey - I've been wrong before and will be wrong plenty more times before I die.. Would love to see how this works out.

Most people recommended me to use the HQ master cylinder as it is a good size for the old ford brakes, but yes disks on the back is a bit strange,

but no one can tell me should i cross over the brake lines?

I could tell you how it works out soon, but I broke my tube flaring tool

generally the front brake sleeve size is bigger for disc brakes..

Did you miss this bit mate? Even though the rear port may have a residual pressure valve , chances are that the bore of the master cylinder is stepped, so you will run into issues.

generally the front brake sleeve size is bigger for disc brakes..

Did you miss this bit mate? Even though the rear port may have a residual pressure valve , chances are that the bore of the master cylinder is stepped, so you will run into issues.

same size bore right down,

I'm gonna go with no... don't reverse the lines... front brakes generally deliver more fluid, and just because the rear is disc doesn't mean that you should necessarily deliver more fluid to that area. Wilwood make inline residual pressure valves - 2 PSI for Disc, and 10PSI for drum brakes....

I'm gonna go with no... don't reverse the lines... front brakes generally deliver more fluid, and just because the rear is disc doesn't mean that you should necessarily deliver more fluid to that area. Wilwood make inline residual pressure valves - 2 PSI for Disc, and 10PSI for drum brakes....

Spoke with someone today and he sed the same as what you have,the master cylinder delivers pressure to the rear brakes before the front so don't want to mess that up witch is another reason not to revers the lines.

Going to dig the R/P valve out of the M/C and fit inline ones and hope it works :)