4G93 T Smoking question

mekemelorry

After a bit of help in regards to whats causing it to smoke, its in a 97 GSR lancer

I get blue smoke from the exhaust after it has been idling for a few minutes and i go to take off.

No smoke when idling, only when you touch the accelerator ,

Doesn't smoke when your up and running , and short stops and starts (traffic lights etc)

Have done a oil flush and change + filter

Turbo has been serviced so its not that

Im thinking Rings or valve stem seals?

Any help/known problems or further testing suggestions I could try would be great

Thanks in advance

4G93s (like the newer generation 6A1x, 4A3x, 4B1x, 6B3x etc) are generally good for not smoking, it's the older 4G6x, 4G3x, 4G1x, 6G7x, 4G5x etc which tend to have softer rings and therefore smoke early on.

I would gather it's probably valve stem seals or the rebuild of the turbo (really, what was involved in this 'service'?) causinig the smoke. You should be using a 5W40 or 10W40 or similar semi-synthetic or full-synthetic oil.

4G93s (like the newer generation 6A1x, 4A3x, 4B1x, 6B3x etc) are generally good for not smoking, it's the older 4G6x, 4G3x, 4G1x, 6G7x, 4G5x etc which tend to have softer rings and therefore smoke early on.

I would gather it's probably valve stem seals or the rebuild of the turbo (really, what was involved in this 'service'?) causinig the smoke. You should be using a 5W40 or 10W40 or similar semi-synthetic or full-synthetic oil.

The turbo was rebuilt by AutoKraft in Palmy, so Im crossing my fingers thats its valve stem seals (supposibly you can change them with head still on)

I have a 10w40 Caltex oil in it.

running some engine flush through could help if the oil rings are stuck.

you'll need a specific tool to get the stem seals off with the head on.

ive heard you can cut a spark plug and weld an airline fiting to it. then you can pump compresed air into the cylinder and keep the valves from dropping down.

i had the same prob with a 4age, in the end i just pulled it apart, its probably gonna happen anyway...

• 2 weeks later...

done them on a nissan with head in place, took plugs out, feed nylon rope in cylinder i was doin and spun crank with socket till i felt the piston push rope up against valves to hold them in place. then self expiainatry from there.