Dane's Lush Pontiac of Rust

Alistair

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yup. Turns out the LH guard is an even bigger bog monstrosity. Not sure if worth taking a pic as I doubt it'll show how rippled it is. Guy could have saved himself half a kilo of bog by just putting the guard on the ground and standing on it first.

Yea looking good dude, I have a similar fix to sort on one of my guards. Whats the condition of the water channel that sits behind the guards? dont know its propper name but the big void that the water from the windscreen runs through. Our cars essentially share the same basic underbody, seems to be a fairly badly designed area drainage wise, it drops out through the sill.

No deadlines, I'm too poor to afford the paint till something else sells.

Just gotta get radiator support, inner guards and headlight backing panels I've cut out of guards sandblasted, primed and the bonnet done then I'll put everything back together and line it all up. Then I can bog/sand it. Also wanna smooth the firewall.

Hasn't been that quick, I've owned it almost a year now.

Spent 2 days on the RH guard and I've cut even more out of it today so that'll be a while yet. LH guard is gonna be potentially worse. Will roll the tops out on english wheel next week, should get some of the ripples out.

I'm not crying. Much.

Yea looking good dude, I have a similar fix to sort on one of my guards. Whats the condition of the water channel that sits behind the guards? dont know its propper name but the big void that the water from the windscreen runs through. Our cars essentially share the same basic underbody, seems to be a fairly badly designed area drainage wise, it drops out through the sill.

I had to weld some patches in the bottom of it just above the top of the sill line. Gave it a good blowing out when I was there, gonna soak por15 into it from behind the footwell fresh air vent things. Just didn't wanna open the por15 tin till had everything mostly ready as it dries itself up so easy.

I dont know how smooth is too smooth for por15 but the floors/underside of my 7 werent exactly rough, however the paint appears to have stuck to it pretty good. i assume you threw some metal ready on it first?

Nah, as I said I was just experimenting so I'll probably strip it off again and etch it. I just had too much paint already mixed. Only needed to do the back part, the inside of the guard lip the inside edge at the top. Didn't even prepsol it so you can see it's waxed a bit.

POR will stick to roughed (scothbrite or 180, whatever) bare steel just fine, I'm not a fan of using metal ready (or any phosphoric acid product) as I've seen it sit in seams and it causes more problems than it fixes, I guess this isn't a problem on a guard though. I will epoxy and 2k anything I can spray, for cavities etc POR 15 seems the next best thing

Oh and tough luck that guard, I hate stripping old cars and finding dodgy shit but its part of the deal I guess

you're well on your way dude. A mate of mine had one of these a couple of years back... put hydraulics in it but it wasn't really the right car for it.... His had had similar treatment to yours re: bog work with a bit of satin black paint over the top....

Oi Dane you obviously sprayed that POR with a mask? and it still fucked you up? haha. I have the same plan in my roof to spray down the hard to reach places, I really like the way the shit works its way through seams but don't want to die spraying it haha.

Also chucked a link to this in your project as chasing down discussion threads sucks

I must admit I sprayed without a mask.. Was only a small job I did outside standing downwind and with my HVLP gun it would have been no big deal. Instead I used an old suction gun which made a lot more overspray. Will definitely wear mask next time.

Read the MSDS and it doesn't seem particularly nastier than any other 2k isocyanate based stuff

Updating probably way too much...

You've changed Dane....

Yours was a bad influence. I'm just keen to keep a log of what I do with the steel before paint. Once its in primer etc its less interesting to me.

Really keen for feedback on if I'm doing things wrong. Just self taught. Usually go to google or youtube if I dont know how to do something.

Plus its a good excuse for a break as I have a headache from burning POR15 in the seam I just stitched.

Yea its essentially a water cured urethane so shouldn't be too much worse than 2k, fuck knows! oh well outside with a mask I should live

Everything you are doing seems legit, are you actually using etch? I would prefer exopy 100 times over etch primer but it is more expensive

I've never used epoxy. I use resene 1k etch. Sticks really well and is hard sanding. Also doesn't bubble much when you weld around it or shrink with gas plant. Then just 2K HS primer over that.

I'll be wearing full mask/gloves/hooded overalls when I paint the inside.

Its good though, this forum needs more metalwork. If you need masks etc I might be able to get a good deal through my father in law who is the sales rep at road materials.

I see pink bitz is still in the background. Sort out a weekend ahead of time and I'll help you sand the bugger back so you can spray it and get it off the lawn (I know how it is bugging you).

BTW: Any word on the cottage?

I've got a good 3m full face mask but it needs a new head strap.

Yeah cheers, I've just got to budget for the clearcoat and then I'll throw the ponty in storage while I do the rx7. might pull the motor sometime soon so I can start on the engine bay.

Nah, 2nd offer got rejected. Gonna leave it at that and see if they get any more realistic over time.