wheel studs...help please?

Beaver

whats the go with getting different wheel studs? obviously they need to be the same/similar size to fit into the hole in the hub, but does the knurled part need to be exactly the same?

reason I ask is I need longer ones for the front of my triumph (running 10mm spacers). the ones from the rear are longer (but not enough) but I tried them anyway, however the knurl pattern is more coarse so I didnt try to get them in for fear of fucking shit up

I have had a look online and found some that look alright, but they are only listed with dimensions and I have no way of know how coarse the knurl is. does this matter? or do I just make sure the knurl diameter is the same and then just commit to getting them seated?

or on the other hand, is there anywhere I could go with my current stud and say I want this but 10mm longer etc?

cheers

Davie motors in manukau are the suppliers of nice products which is the brand that supplies most parts places their studs.

however the catalogues only list knurl diameter not courseness (not a real word?) so you may just have to measure carefully and take the plunge.

yeh thought so. will ahve to nab some verniers of someone and get a proper measurement. I dont plan on swapping them in and out so as long as they fit in and stay in place then ill be happy. might drop them a line and tell them what I need and see if they can help. hopefully they can look up standard triumph ones and match somethign up

Don't look over trailer wheelstuds - they are cheap and easy to come by - I have a set of 5 that I got for you to try many ages ago still sitting in my toolbox at Pinkys.. I think from memory they are 45 or 50mm long.

Grab them when you borrow some verniers..

get trailer ones from twiggs in lower hutt. probably a couple of buck each or something./

I got caught out one time with my crown. some twat had done the wheelnuts up with a rattle gun at beaurepaires so when I took my wheel off to do pads half of them broke.

was able to use 1/2" thread trailer studs that the old man had. I can't recall the drill size we used to use when drilling hubs at twl but I think that trojan wheel studs are just on/over 14mm in the knurling.

cheee