How to Reduce Door Hinge Play

EvoBilly

ya what ky said, hinge-pin death match

i had the same issue but on my fiat the door pins/hinges cannot be replaced :\

so to take up the inevitable slop in the drivers door I set the top one a wee bit too high, then pulled the door down to tighten up the bottom one.

then the hinges are like this:

|\|

d

o

o

r

|/|

instead of like this:

|I|

d

o

o

r

|I|

this will take some messing around to get no slop and nice gaps.

also my next mod was going to be drilling a small hole though the hinge to the pin for a greasegun/syringe.

there are a couple of different tools on the market for hinge pin removal/replacement - I got mine from the sulco tool man. most of the British stuff had roll pins as door hinge pins which are pretty easy to get from hardware suppliers. most hinges can be rebuilt with a bit of time and/or money, bushing the hinge out or reaming and going oversize on the pin, or if the pin has worn, sometimes a new pin is all it takes.

if you can't buy decent s/hand ones, i used to remove the factory pin bore out and fit D21 navara pins and bushes, but the nissan kits could be spendy now? this is what i used on some, not all toyota hinges.

another option is to get 'self lubricating' bronze bushing from an engineers supply and fit your hinge housing and drill to suit the pin