Sealer in panel joins/cracked paint

cute wee gem

Pretty crap pic but you can see where the top of guard is sealed against the other panel

dscf4277z.jpg

What's the best way to stop paint cracking in these joins? I don't want to weld the panels on. I figuered my best bet was to cut the sealer as low as possible and por15 over top to prevent rust if water pools in the join.

What have others done?

Interesting.... I got told its easier to cut holes in the top of the guard to fix rust rather than take the guard off. I need to fix rust in that area so may just weld it up...

Could you just put a bead of decent sealant in there that is paintable? The stuff with use at work, Silaflex MS is flexible, lasts and can be painted over. So even if you just brushed some paint on the top of it, if the paint cracked it won't get past the sealant.

Sealer itself doesn't crack, just the paint on top. I'm not worried about water getting past the sealer, it just looks horrible when the paint turns to shit on top.

touch it up when it does..?

when the paint does crack it will be black underneath and probly won't be very noticeable anyway..

Not really the answer your looking for and assuming you dont want to see it

I would get a little brush with some gloss black hobby paint or the like and paint the sealer down inside the groove with it

will be way less noticable and easy to do again anytime. If the sealer is black you wont need to do it again.

Interesting.... I got told its easier to cut holes in the top of the guard to fix rust rather than take the guard off. I need to fix rust in that area so may just weld it up...

Could you just put a bead of decent sealant in there that is paintable? The stuff with use at work, Silaflex MS is flexible, lasts and can be painted over. So even if you just brushed some paint on the top of it, if the paint cracked it won't get past the sealant.

if they are anything like the chevette guards i can understand why you wouldn't want to take them off to fix anything underneath.. they are a prick as they are glued and screwed, and ridiculous number of screws holding them in place. some are in real shitty places too.

I have seen a couple of restoration shops fix up panels like this (they had removed the factroy lead as it often rusts underneath) they welded the seam up and used a 3M exopy to fill the rest, then a skim of a decent filler like rage gold, Upol etc and I doubt it will crack.