steelies MKII velo racer

Steelies

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Dunno man fuel delivery is shit with no jet at all. You should look at getting more fuel in it one day though though, I'll bet it is running lean, max power for meth is around 4:1 I doubt you are even close, maybe 8-10:1 haha. It's always hard to find a carb that can deliver the fuel and not kill inlet velocity, I think you should go mechanical injection haha

• Like 2

From my stuffing around emulsion tubes change more how the main circuit comes on, I don't think it messing will change the mixture enough. He probably needs to add a fuck load more fuel, most people I have seen will always setup meth lean, a standard (or even slightly bigger) carb just can't deliver the fuel even with the biggest main you can fit, factory carbs you always end up at maybe 10:1 through  8:1 which eventually will nip up a 2 stroke. The power gains really come into effect when you can get it rich, somewhere around 4:1 is peak power ratio for meth. Much easier to get there on bigger bikes as there is a bigger range of carbs. Method for rough tuning a bike from scratch should be richen it up until it stutters and back it off, doubt any stock fitted carbs on small engines can even get close to running that rich 

sweet i'll just open up what i can.

a hot piston is inherent in this villy design, and it ran for an hour without any major meltdowns (wont be running it that long very often) so i'm not really that worried.

assuming meth levels are high enough, are the gains to be made predominantly in raising comp.? which i cant be bothered doing again just yet anyway haha

Yes raising the comp to take advantage of the meth's higher octane is one factor in running it. There are still decent gains to be had on a stock engine though, one is a cooler intake charge because of the high heat of vaporization and the other is packing more chemical energy into each cylinder fill. Meth has a lower energy content than normal fuel but once you start running it nice and rich you are packing more chemical energy into a cylinder fill = more bang. Hence why I am saying try get it richer otherwise you may aswell be running gas, also it won't get hot if you fuel it enough. I can see why you CBF though haha

that would be nice, but overheating on pet worries me.

more queries, what yall reckon are the limits for a brass flywheel? weaker than iron? stronger? danger?

my motor isn't revving very high by any standards, but the flywheel is right in the crook of my foot/shin in riding position. mild worry.

Has it been mentioned about running twin carbs Manu?

bgvf/'hSWAAAAAAAAAAEIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii8

My cat however has other ideas...as you can see above.

• Like 2

doubt any stock fitted carbs on small engines can even get close to running that rich 

diaphragm carbs can do that easy just by twiddling the high speed screw. Its how I tune chainsaws etc. I would look into a kart racing carb. Basically a big weedeater carb. Im looking for a tillotson one for my bike. You can get special alcohol versions and they usualy go on engines around 100cc. ideal. u'll just have to drill a hole in crabkcase for the pulse shit. or maybe just use intake manifold. iduno. that wont be hard for mr steelies engineering

Brass flywheel: I've been told its a bad idea to do high rpm. they do explode. But that's just what I have been told.

oh yeh nah maybe but the special methanol ones would...you can buy them from tillotson.

Tillotson website: http://www.tillotson.ie/products-carb-specialty.php

How to convert regular spec tillotson carb for meth: http://www.iwt.com.au/methanol.htm

U can find those carbs secondhand on a racket powered racing kart racket85 or 120. Im pretty sure tho they make or used to make factory methanol carbs tho. Seen them on all the old open class karts from usa with chainsaw engines etc

edit: godam I love to think about twostrokes

dont forget it's a villiers, pretty sure the stock carb was a cotton reel taped to an oil lantern.

yeah keen to know the difference in rpm limit on alloy vs.brass flywheels.

it'll need to be a big difference to swap out a brass flywheel. pretty much the coolest part of the bike.

well I've seen Villiers with alloy flywheels so ima guess they will use the same taper. Its prob some stupid English taper which only comes on Villiers.......................................................oh wait...........victa used silly English spec measurements. maybe a victa flywheel(off an old full crank engine) will fit.

edit: regarding the brass. I did read that back in the day it was pretty common for brass flywheels to explode on stationary engines etc in factories. Er body died. But I guess they woulda been way bigger flywheels. Iduno.