Whats the deal with HID headlights?

Scrubb

I came across a quick word about HID systems and how they run on something like 6v instead of 12v so can get brighter lights using less energy? I read somewhere that they may be illegal in NZ? But then I've seen alot of new cars come out with them from factory. Is there any truth to this?

the retrofit kits are not legal, because the lens is not designed for the bulb used. Plastic headlights may also melt

(however my gsx600 had a kit retrofitted and it never failed the wof beam test)

I think if you get a full kit with lenses it is legal, as the beam pattern will be correct

There will be a control box in the wiring (maybe two for cars) which will alter the voltage.

HID bulbs run on a very high voltage and a low amount of current rather than the conventional 12V. The ballast box steps the voltage right up.

As Tori said the retro-fit kits are not legal unless you have the housings/lenses designed for HIDs in the first place as it affects the beam pattern and could also be a fire risk.

I don't think it's a good idea fitting them in place of where H1/H4 bulbs have been because you often find the retro-fit kits are amongst the worst offenders of on-coming cars blinding you. You would be better off with a decent pair of standard halogen bulbs in properly aligned headlamp housings.

Yeah I ran them in the crown for awhile. Didn't even need to use highbeams, but when I did I could easily see a few km down the road.

Dunno what it looked like to on coming traffic, but I doubt they would have enjoyed it.

I have yet to find any HID approved 5 3/4" housings.

Startup voltage on them is around 18-20KV, dropping down to 6 or so KV when warmed up.

Ah, very interesting, I was under the impression that HID's used less energy. Can't get something from nothing I suppose.. It looks like theres not much point looking into a HID system for my lancer from what you guys have told me. Looks like the verdict is some decent halogen bulbs with a new housing? I don't know if it's all older cars or the Lancer EX's specifically but their lights are pretty rubbish. Are there any off the shelf regular bulbs which will make a decent difference or would I get a far better result switching to Halogen?

They do use less energy. A 35 watt HID pumps out a shitload more light than a 100W halogen / xenon.

Some of them 60/55 +50 whatever they call them bulbs are pretty sweet, if your car takes H4 hi/lows. Ya probably can't safely run 100W without upgrading the wiring and bulb housing, as they pump out a lot of heat and pull many more amps, but 100W highbeams are quite lush.