converting to LPG

d.p.n.s

hi all

so im wanting to convert my 93 pajero 3.0 v6 to lpg.

what do i need to get for the convertion as its fuel injected.? and how hard is it to do?

and does anyone know of a compnay in chch that does the convertion

and any idea how much it is.

thanks for you time.

Do it Dan. It's well worth it.

You aren't ment to do it your self, only people with an installer cert should be doing the conversion.

There are a number of ways you can make it work. The best bet is to call Mark at Allen Auto Gas.

Once your car is converted go to Rock Gas and get a rock gas card, you can buy LPG for about $1.15 per litre.

Not sure Glen, last one I saw a customer do was a total waste of money (a Safari lol). It was around 4 grand and that buys a lot of petrol. I'd buy a diesel model, some might buy a GDI model either way work out how many kms the Pajero has to do to recoup your investment. ie not worth doing if you do 20,000kms and sell it.

got all excited thinking the van was going fj on gas,

yeah 4-7 grand depending on the hardware you choose,

i'd look for one thats done and sell yours.

say its $4000 at $2.20per liter thats 1820 liters approx of petrol.

after a conversion $4000 + (1820x1.15) = $6100 to get the same amount in gas.

6100-4000=2100/1.05 (price difference petrol lpg) = 2000 extra litres needed to purchase to break even

ie 2000x1.15=2300 + 6100 = $8400 lpg for 3820 litres

2000x2.20=4400 + 4000 = $8400 gas for 3820 litres

let me know if my maths is wrong lol

Most efi cars converted togas just run a simple old school Venturi mixer like a carb.

Ecu still works ignition and thinks its running the injectors but the power to injectors and the fuel pump are cut.

Gas injection is more efficient and better power though but more expensive.

got all excited thinking the van was going fj on gas,

yeah 4-7 grand depending on the hardware you choose,

i'd look for one thats done and sell yours.

say its $4000 at $2.20per liter thats 1820 liters approx of petrol.

after a conversion $4000 + (1820x1.15) = $6100 to get the same amount in gas.

6100-4000=2100/1.05 (price difference petrol lpg) = 2000 extra litres needed to purchase to break even

ie 2000x1.15=2300 + 6100 = $8400 lpg for 3820 litres

2000x2.20=4400 + 4000 = $8400 gas for 3820 litres

let me know if my maths is wrong lol

Approximating that LPG is $1 cheaper, you will start saving money after buying as many litres as the cost of the upgrade (so $4k for upgrade, you need to buy 4k litres to make it worth it).

This is assuming that you get the same mpg from LPG and petrol

You took the hard way I think :)

assuming lpg uses slightly more litres per km compared to petrol my maths is slightly biased correct,

but the point is there and i'm happy to have the numbers add up approximately at the end,

6th form stats wasn't a great success for me lol

Unless you do heaps of miles its just not worth it, I had a new falcon ute that had LPG and petrol, it would get alot worse milage on the LPG (theres a whole thread on this somewhere LPG is pretty useless unless you use vapour injection)

So as said work out how many miles you do and then how long it will take to get your money back, I'm betting several years

The problem is that alot of dual fuel vehicles have a fairly rudimentry LPG fuel system.

If it was dedicated LPG and/or had a better LPG fuel system people would get much better results when using LPG.

Like petrol the LPG carb and regulator need to match the size of the motor.

All the parts you want can be found on Trade Me or Ebay for cheap if you know what to look for. They aren't very complex and can be freshened up at home. Getting a tank retested is about S100 from memory. You can reuse all the hose fittings too, the only part that needs to be fitted new is the flexible fuel line. Hunt around wreckers etc.

$4000+ is for a totaly new system installed by a workshop.

im still looking into it and im very keen to put in on lpg.

i do about 240-300ks aweek but i wont be upgrading the old girl for another 5+ years

so in the long run it will be worth it i think as the cost of fuel may go up again.