Vegie's '83 S12 Gazelle

vegie

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What struts & front hubs are you using? Did you need to space the caliper at all? Definitely looks awesome on the Watanabes, did you buy them brand new?

brand new? hell no! priced them up at $3800 NZ before shipping :shock: after i got them.

i got them from GTR city in chch. apparently they were on a non compliable R32 GTR. paid $1000 for the set second hand. a bargain it turned out!

im using R31 import turbo front struts with shortened koni inserts (not my first choice but not many options). platformed as you might have seen.

the hubs are also R31 turbo, redrilled for 5 stud. wasnt keen to pay silly dollars for late z31 turbo ones that are essentially the same.

the calipers im using are off an early z32 NA 300zx. turns out it was a bad choice, as they are the only ones to use a 27mm thick disc. every other model uses 30mm discs. lucky i know someone in the trade, or i would have been up for nearly $200 dollars a disc :doubt:

the offset is ok, but the caliper sits around 1mm to far outward, that is slightly off centre. still clears, but i had to remove the anti rattle pad (0.6mm)on the inner of the caliper as new pads were only just rubbing the disc. once the pads wear, it'll be sweet!

Hey, I had a chuckle about your 'bad luck' with getting those calipers...

I've been searching for ages for a set of specifically those!

Hard to find compared to all of the other 4 pot setups.

I've got a set of R33 calipers/discs/etc here, but the calipers are too wide for what I want to do.

If you're ever keen to go wider discs/bigger calipers, let me know, I'd be keen for a swap :D

i may be wrong,but from what i can tell, the caliper isnt actually smaller its only the slot that the disc runs in is narrower.

my calipers are the same design as the R32 gtst ones.

i think your R33 calipers are the more rounded type ones?

i didnt know that any 4 pots were different until i got these ones.

as it turns out, maybe it's lucky i used them, as the clearance from the bottom arms is like 1mm at best...

Aahh okay, interesting.

I guess that makes sense from a manufacturing perspective, use one casting for the caliper halves, then machine the middle bits to suit.

I had a set of R32 GTR ones to test fit a while back, good lord they were freaken massive!

Way overkill for a 1000kg car anyway, haha.

• 1 month later...
dam that is a nice s12 i have recently found my own and brought it back to christchurch. god knows how you found this one though would love an fj !! keep up the build its looking good mate

sweet, what did you get? im picking a ca18et powered one? theres a few floating around chch, including the same model as mine.

yeah FJ ones are rare, but i did buy it 10 odd years ago, when they were still around (sorta)

Awesome car man, would you be keen to take some photos of it some time with my silver '84 cr-x, and '83 city turbo II?

Cheers, Matt

will have it out for the trackday in taupo this weekend for the nat's all going to plan. you gonna be there?

well my track day went well, not so the drive home.

got a trailer ride back to Auckland :(

electrics had a spaz just out of rotorua, and car completely died.

melted fuses, but not blown!? all sorts of weird buzzing and shit going on in the dash too.

those were ominous parting words in front of BK :lol: Glad you got home safely.

The buzzing from the dash is kinda strange... perhaps a wire may have come loose somewhere and shorted out?

I managed to melt the fuse on my amp from all the business of violently throwing the Skyline around Taupo, upon inspection earlier this morning it looks like the power feed short circuited.

well its all running again.

i think the old fuel pump is rooted and loaded up the fuse box.

the buzzing was a back feed due to one of the other fuses not connecting properly.

replaced the whole lot as they all looked a bit nasty, and its all gravy again.

new fuel pump next on the to do list...

Was great to meet ya on weekend!

Your S12 looks great! look forward to seeing it again!

yeah was good to finally put a face to the name!

after a whole weekend driving it, im not so sure a trip to akaroa would be on the cards lol.

the things a bit of a bone shaker...