ke70 lowering ?

swagg'n sam

i want to lower the front of my 1987dx wag and have some 82 front shocks and was wondering what to do about springs i want to have it solid, not bouncy but don't have to much money so any ideas ...........should i compress the standards....cut them...or get kings and compress them?.. i want it slammed!!!

Check first if the 82 shocks you have are the right size for the struts, there are several different sizes for ke70s, and it seems sometimes that they fitted whatever was in the parts bin next to them.

Secondly, if you dont want it bouncy you may want to get some different shocks anyway. If they are standard ones and you fit stiffer springs, they will have issues with the dampening. Also, if you are planning to slam it and keep it legal, then you are going to need to make the springs captive, if you have standard shocks, you will have to get them shortened which will prolly cost about $60ish unless you know somebody who can machine them down. By the time you have done that, you are prolly better off just getting some new ones from repco to suit, that are also suited to a stiffer spring.

I can get you the part number for the ones we use for customers cars, they are REAL short, and still pretty cheap.

Or the cheapest option is just cut the springs you have and run it. Until you get rolled, then it prolly wont be so cheap anymore..

Check first if the 82 shocks you have are the right size for the struts, there are several different sizes for ke70s, and it seems sometimes that they fitted whatever was in the parts bin next to them.

Secondly, if you dont want it bouncy you may want to get some different shocks anyway. If they are standard ones and you fit stiffer springs, they will have issues with the dampening. Also, if you are planning to slam it and keep it legal, then you are going to need to make the springs captive, if you have standard shocks, you will have to get them shortened which will prolly cost about $60ish unless you know somebody who can machine them down. By the time you have done that, you are prolly better off just getting some new ones from repco to suit, that are also suited to a stiffer spring.

I can get you the part number for the ones we use for customers cars, they are REAL short, and still pretty cheap.

Or the cheapest option is just cut the springs you have and run it. Until you get rolled, then it prolly wont be so cheap anymore..

im keen for the part number as im running dx front struts in my ke35 and there 4x4 spec at the mo on stock springs

Fronts, if you end up with none captive springs, two options.

One is to put the strut apart, and fit a spacer in the original oil shock to stop it fully extending

Cheap and easy.

Other option, using AE-92 toyota Corolla gas Shock inserts.

the shock body on these are about 50mm shorter than the strut housing, so you have two options onthat one, Make a spacer to go in the strut housing, that fits in the bottom before you install the insert, so that the insert is captive. that gives you two inches.

However if you going crazy low, then spacer can go in after you fit the insert, this gives you about 90 to 100mm of shorter strut, however travel is pretty limited at this due to bump stop etc.

And option three is follow my tech artical on how to build up coil overs without to much money invested.

so i tried lowering it got some 82 gas shock inserts packed the bottom and tried some springs out but 1 pair were cut and weren't captive and 1 pair were the wrong diameter so i just jammed my standard springs back in so they stiff but advisably it didn't really lower it dose any 1 know of any 1 that makes a spring that just goes in and lowers it ??? i don't have the money to buy kings then have to get them compressed as well...

• 3 weeks later...
Fronts, if you end up with none captive springs, two options.

One is to put the strut apart, and fit a spacer in the original oil shock to stop it fully extending

Cheap and easy.

Other option, using AE-92 toyota Corolla gas Shock inserts.

the shock body on these are about 50mm shorter than the strut housing, so you have two options onthat one, Make a spacer to go in the strut housing, that fits in the bottom before you install the insert, so that the insert is captive. that gives you two inches.

However if you going crazy low, then spacer can go in after you fit the insert, this gives you about 90 to 100mm of shorter strut, however travel is pretty limited at this due to bump stop etc.

And option three is follow my tech artical on how to build up coil overs without to much money invested.

So after a tonne of searching I finally came to this thread didn't think it would be so hard to find an answer to my problem lol this post clears thing up for me big time :D . Anyway I have a 82 ke70 got dobi springs in it but my fronts are uncaptive option A looks like the best option for me how much lower will this make the front than it already is? I was planning on taking the struts out and taking them in to Chamberlains and getting them to do the rest anyone know a round about figure this will cost me? Was thinking of just driving it in and getting them to do all the hard work for me and save me getting all frustrated and pissed off lol but I'm guessing this will cost me a small fortune?

Also depending on how the front ends up sitting I was thinking about getting my rears compressed will these make them ride like crap?

My ke70 is still fairly high so would like it to come down a bit more so much for my springs being 'super lows' aye :lol: Cheers guys.

short inserts wont lower it more it will just make the stroke shorter and whatever spring you have captive. it allows for a shorter spring or lowering spring with a coil or 2 cut off.

ring autolign they will proabably be able to recommend a place if you cant do it yourself. or you could pull one side out at home and take it in. expect to spend over about $200 per pair of shocks.

just get the matching lowering spring in the rear and match up a shorter shock from a hilux etc, same idea as the front.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...