Mega Shed of Ed.

0R10N

• Replies 379
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

came to just under $55k with permits, drainage, electrical and concrete included. Pays to shop around all the companies, I went with versatile in the end because they were the most willing to undertake the project, they weren't the cheapest but had more value added overall i.e. a better electrical and drainage plan, and also didn't have a habit of provisionally costing on their quotes.

the worst offender in that department was Skyline, whose quote ballooned from a seemingly cheap $35k "provisional" cost to a shade over $65k the more my dad whittled away at their rep (he's an old-school estimator/QS so kinda has an idea of these things!)

was also unbelievable how many of the other companies would send out a guy who would balk at the size of the proposed shed and say, "Oh the council won't let you build one this big, how about downsizing to one of our nice kitset 6x9s?" As it turned out, Waitakere didn't give two shits about the size, only that I put in a suitable drainage scheme to handle the runoff and keep it within zone height limits, but remember it may be different in other parts of Auckland/the country.

Versatile rep dropped me a quick email today stating the reason for the delay with council signoff is due to cladding damage caused by the drainlayer when he was in the other week. Replacement panels had to be manufactured in Christchurch and shipped, which explains the delay.

The panels are scheduled to arrive for installation on Friday morning, and the building is also being cleaned and readied for the final council inspection which will take place on Friday afternoon. Then it's just a matter of paying the dues and taking possession of a set of keys.

The end is in sight, hurrah! :bounce:

Can finally see how big it is! SOOO awesome!

i'd be happy with a double w/ workshop space at this stage but I want this now!!

Chur. I haven't parked any cars end-to-end yet, but the overall space suddenly seems smaller with a Skyline in there, compared to a Laser.

6948488949_8b203b0fac_b.jpg

6802378152_db8537746e_b.jpg

Was meant to be given word by 5pm Friday as to whether council have successfully signed off the shed or not.

As per usual, didn't hear a peep from anyone, so just assumed no news = good news and proceeded to put the MR2 in there for the weekend so some tinkering could be done.

But was buoyed by the news that according to the flatmate (who is a council employee), the inspection records are back with the building inspections team which pretty much indicates job done :bounce:

So then there were two...

6822834398_ff1ae28336_b.jpg

• Like 1

End of another week and the garage is still not signed off.

Starting to get a bit nervous as I'm not sure how much longer I can keep extending the lease at my current lockup for. I was originally meant to be out by 1st March, but am currently getting fortnightly extensions. Just glad the storage company doesn't need me out in a hurry as there is no one lined up to move in (but all this could theoretically change overnight).

fin.

Few things left to do - get cracking on the bench, order and fit the flouros, sort the security, find some old carpet or lino for the floor... then start moving all my shit in.

I spent last Easter moving house... looks like this Easter I'll be moving shed. How eerily appropriate :bounce:

I had carpet on my floor until my dad took 4 salmon out of the freezer to make room for the venison he was storing in there short term then forgot to put the salmon in.

5 days later (mid summer) I was not happy.

When I rolled the carpet up I was eaten alive by fleas

Decided not to paint it after the construction phase just kept dragging on and on. Gonna cost way too much in mats, and will delay the moving in process by about three weeks to a month.

also doesn't help that the floor was never cleaned, and I've already started putting things in there :doubt:

thanks to the heavy rain last nite, the shed is surrounded by an actual moat this morning.

hopefully someone hasn't horribly miscalculated the drainage requirements, otherwise I may be looking at a flooded floor every time it does rain :(