Brennan's, ke70 Corolla, 3sge Beams powered.

Brennan

• Replies 322
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yea. I sent him ( andy smith) the drawing that cletus did for us in the tech section. And he was happy for it do be done that way. Can't go very low tho sadly with them welded like that. But can always get keeper springs if I really have to.

pretty keen to have a look at your bc's to see how they compare to the max front setup.

see which can go lower etc.

This. Measure from the stub axle base to top of Camber plate when fully extended and full low man.  

If they are legit lowww im in. what model they for.

Hey man any chance of getting some photos of your coilovers bolted in the rear I'm looking at running the same setup But hoping there won't be much mods apart from welding support plates up top and having clearance between the rim and chassis can't find many ke70s with rear coilys!

Cheers

You had to ask. Haha.

Was holding of posting anything about the rear till I knew what was happening.

The max coilovers come with a big disc that you weld into the stock position at the top. This helps spread the load a little.

But I always knew they wouldn't fit in the rear. Due to the fat volvo brakes being in the way.

It was going to work if I stood the coilovers up so they were not leaning over at any angle and moved the top mounting hole out an inch or so.

But all the metal is so thin up there. I didn't want to risk it.

So over the next few weekends. I will be cutting up the boot and welding in 3mm and 5mm metal plate, that will come up off the chassis.

So I would recomend to avoid rear coilover setups. If you aren't up to the extra work.

And I am not sure how the cert man would react if you had the weight of the coilover in the shock mount.

• 2 weeks later...

Aaahhhh so it looks as though with those coilovers the height is adjustable without preloading the springs?

Pretty sweet, my life would be a lot easier if I had the same.

What was the brand or model of coilover that was compatible with the GX71 etc strut diameter?

These are the "powered by max" ae86 coilover. which are ~51mm I.D same as x7 cressida O.D

and yes are height adjustable with out touching the spring.

Although, i folowed this method to make sure it was all legal and able to get cert

struthowto.png

Which meant it only goes this low

null_zps54359764.jpg

can raise it up 50ish mm from that height if i need to though.

• 3 weeks later...

Keith is all good. Jase / eke_zetec does all his dunno work there and he does a fair few rally cars. Not sure what his pricing is like, but I would assume it's good considering he does a bit of grass roots work.

Roskilda is another good option.

na, i have never had to pay tax from anything i have brought from thailand or Maylasia.

I have brought a bit through ebay, speedo cable,number plate lights, mirrors, etc, and it all seems to be near the same quality as genuine toyota items.

They usually put it down as a "gift" worth $10 on the declaration form anyway.

Usually pretty quick shipping times too.

Yeah, his dyno reads differently to most others because it's an older rolling road. He'll usually dyno N/A cars in 3rd gear (with a 5 speed box, would be 4th with the J160) because they pull better, which gives the different reading. If you want more accurate numbers, get him to do a pull in 5th gear (1:1 ratio). His dyno readings were within a gnats cock of the chequered flag dyno in Wellington when a friend was having his turbo Integra tuned. 

sweet, if i was to use a copy of your tune, would it be all right, with out a retune?

I think the only difference is, i am using silvertop throttle bodies/different length intake?

I have no idea about any of this stuff...

My tune will work fine as a base map. You'll need to get it onto a dyno to check the AFR's anyway, but it should be fairly straightforward. You have a different inlet and exhaust so it'll need tweaking. 

My car hasn't had much tuning for cruising either (for obvious reasons), so you'd benefit from time doing road tuning too. 

Sweet. The electrician put a base map of sorts on it when he installed it. To get it running.

So will get some quotes and get it tuned from that?

Just need to build an exhaust once I get it back and we should be ready.

Do you have anyone you would recommend for wheel alignments?