rust fix guides

EvoBilly

This is a good fred. Esp liked reading about the fab work on the retrorides site.

I've just been stripping paint off my bonnet, there was some real light rust underneath which I've wirewheeled, I'm going to pa10, but should I use rust converter first?

th_IMAG0004.jpg th_IMAG0017.jpg th_IMAG0023.jpg

This is a good fred. Esp liked reading about the fab work on the retrorides site.

I've just been stripping paint off my bonnet, there was some real light rust underneath which I've wirewheeled, I'm going to pa10, but should I use rust converter first?

th_IMAG0004.jpg th_IMAG0017.jpg th_IMAG0023.jpg

neither rust converter or PA10 will get rid of the rust. It will just back and wreck your paint. Have a look at this thread and do this if you only want to do it once. You cant get the navel gel they use in NZ so can use jenolite.

http://www.metalmeet.com/forum/showthre ... +willys%22

neither rust converter or PA10 will get rid of the rust. It will just back and wreck your paint. Have a look at this thread and do this if you only want to do it once. You cant get the navel gel they use in NZ so can use jenolite.

http://www.metalmeet.com/forum/showthre ... +willys%22

So rust converter is different from Naval Jelly? Sounds like Naval Jelly is just phosphoric acid. I kinda figured most rust converters had some sort of acid in them but I'm going to Bunnings today so will check it out and make sure they do.

navel jelly uses phosphoric acid but it is in a jelly like solution whereas jenolite etc are a light liquid. I tried to find a way of adding something to make the jenolite hold better as this would be ideal for vertical surfaces. I guy at the paint shop advised recently that all phosphoric acid products were being taken off the market.

Can anyone in this thread recommend someone/panelbeater on the north shore to chop out some rust and weld nice fresh metal in its place?

wont need any finishing just patch it, give it a grind and maybe a splash of etch primer

Theres an old Bloke called Frank who works from home and lives a bit behind the Pare prison. He's been our family panelbeater for a long time and he does a lot of truck work as well. Can contact him on 4139572

• 1 year later...