ELECTRICAL PROBLEM

troyzakp60

okay so quite a while ago my car was paying up with starting due to and electrical promblem an still is

at the moment the only info i have right now is.

i have to push or jump start my car to start.i go for a long drive as soon as i turn car off and go to turn it on again it wont start and reads about 11 n a but volts.i thought i had a drain but sorted that cause i now can leave my car over night and will have that 11 n abit volts.

also when i go to crank it over is goes from 11 n abit to nothing.

what could problem be.battery?alternator?

cheers troy

I would say the fact that it can be jump started fine suggests that it is the battery. It is probably one bad cell not carrying enough current to crank over, yet just enough to power the dash lights and headlights.

how do i test for these things?say my alternator was stuffed what would be happenign then ?

If your alternator was stuffed you would probably not be seeing 13.5ish volts on idle, it will either be much less (not producing current) or much more (regulator stuffed). The regulator could also be shorted internally causing a high current drain when the engine is not running, but you would notice that the volts would die off over-night.

before you get a new battery, start car test volts = x

turn on hazzards, heater, headlights hold revs around 2500rpm test volts = y

If volts with everything running is higher that x and is holding that i.e 14.1,14.2 14.4 may flucuate a little) then it is the battery.

If y is the same as x or lower it is not charging