4age fault

tim13

any one had a bluetop 4age that the timing retards rather than advances when revved ? basics all ok , HEEEEEEEEEEEELP , car was running fine until a big end related engine swap (bluetop to bluetop)

at a guess it would either be a dizzy problem or ecu problem, possibly map sensor but i would try the others first. get spares of them to try so you can rule them out, could even be dodgy dizzy wiring.

had a 4age way back which had a couple of wires on the dizzy plug mixed up and every time it started the timing would be different and would run like ass, wouldn't rev etc and the timing would always go the wrong way. swapped the wires around and it went fine after that.

did you swap the dizzy over from the original engine onto the new block, or did the new block already have a dizzy that you left on?

Check the ECU is plugged in.

Had one where the car would run mint for a while then randomly stop working.

Couldn't figure it out so wrecked it and when I went to pull the ECU out (after the motor andeverything) the plugs were half hanging out :S.

at a guess it would either be a dizzy problem or ecu problem, possibly map sensor but i would try the others first. get spares of them to try so you can rule them out, could even be dodgy dizzy wiring.

had a 4age way back which had a couple of wires on the dizzy plug mixed up and every time it started the timing would be different and would run like ass, wouldn't rev etc and the timing would always go the wrong way. swapped the wires around and it went fine after that.

did you swap the dizzy over from the original engine onto the new block, or did the new block already have a dizzy that you left on?

all original dizzy and head used , wires stayed in plug , plug only fits one way , I am still guessing its something simple I am missing , will post when I find it

I had this problem with a red top, the guy that had it before me had put the dizzy one tooth out to get it to run better. I suck at electrical stuff, but a mate seemed to think the ignitor was causing it, but cant remember the logic behind this. Also, I remember something about the wiring in the dizzy changing between models, I think the wire colors stay the same, but do different things? Sounds like its a common fault, someone on the interweb must have figured it out?

UPDATE , managed to get car running/driving ok with timing mega advanced and TPS unplugged , will try another TPS and see what happens

This is exactly the same problem as Manu's car.

Swapped TPS's, map sensors, distributors, injectors, computers and even the entire wiring loom... NADA

Carbs = your solution... LOL

Also, I remember something about the wiring in the dizzy changing between models, I think the wire colors stay the same, but do different things?

From memory the wire colours change between models but the pins stay the same, so when you plug a dizzy into a different loom the colours don't match, but it should work fine. Haven't played with a standard 4age loom for ages so my memory is fairly hazy :lol:

TPS's sh*t out fairly frequently though, and they are super sensitive so make sure they are set to the exact right specs using a multimeter and feeler gauges.

so what we are saying is we have found a common mechanical/electrical problem on a Toyota that there is no solution for !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I H A T E to be beaten , will update as I find stuff , car now moved from the 04 to the 03 so now working remotely

just to clarify the only thing changed since it was running properly is the bottom end head sensors manifolds ecu body etc all same old same old , has been sitting a while though !

Im just going to throw a wild suggestion in here. Cam timing slightly out causing an error between the cam and crank angle sensors?

Do the 4AGE's have "diagnostic connectors" which will lock the timing when running so you can see if it holds the correct value?

Maybe the crank angle trigger wheel is different between the 2 bottom ends?

I just discussed this with a mate, he said 4ages run really advanced timing when at idle, as they are not loaded, and when you give them a rev or load, them the timing will retard really fast to get into the correct sort of zone for the applied load, then advance as they should, some people see the timing retard quickly and think that its all up the shit, but thats just what a nigga do, soooo there is a possibility that theres nothing wrong with your timing at all, and you're barking up the wrong tree.

ALSO, I had a 20V that decided it was going to intermittently run like a cunt (mostly when on hills or coming to a stop) after I changed the oil, it did this for 3 months, then fixed itself and never had the problem again. We checked everything on that car like 3 times, with scopes and shit even, and never worked out what was wrong.

4ages have witchcraft programmed into their ecus, and its very hard to get a black art like this to perform flawlessly.