pulling CV apart?

ms53_wagon

Needed to replace CV boot, got the old one off but i cant see how the shaft comes out of the CV joint?

I was envisaging a circlip or something (where arrow is) but i cant seem to see anything?

Am i missing something?

its outer CV from ae82 4age

dscf0348dw.jpg

Cheers

If it were me I would just disassemble the inner CV joint (usually just one circlip around the outer race) and slide the new outer CV boot on from that end of the shaft, and I would replace the inner CV boot while I'm at it. I've never been successful with knocking an outer CV joint off an axle shaft, I just must be doing it wrong.

If it were me I would just disassemble the inner CV joint (usually just one circlip around the outer race) and slide the new outer CV boot on from that end of the shaft, and I would replace the inner CV boot while I'm at it. I've never been successful with knocking an outer CV joint off an axle shaft, I just must be doing it wrong.

i thought that might be another option. just means off back down to the parts store haha.

i think "smashing" the CV with a hammer sounds like ill fuck something up haha.

ok, pulled the inner apart and slid the outer boot over the shaft. Outer CV is all greased up, boot on, and clipped back together.

what type of oil/grease do i replace in the inner CV?

The outer is like a grease but the inner was more like an oil? lost a bit when pulling apart so i think i need to top it up with something?

cheers

same grease as the outer CV, if you have any left over. The inner CV isn't exposed to as much heat as the outer would be as it's close to the brakes, so most greases would be fine, but I always just use proper CV joint grease anyway.

After doing millions of these at strongs, I can attest that bashing the outer pot works about 64% of the time. Sometimes the circlip just won't cooperate, and you just end up with play in the joint, grease everywhere and an angry face.

Like fuel said, the safest way of doing them is taking off the inner.

edit: I see you've replaced it now.

Sounds like it's had water get in and the grease has gone runny. Wipe off as much of the runny stuff as possible, then refill with grease.

took subaru cvs apart recently,axles were out of car so stood on top(well,held them with my foot),and gave outer cv a good smack with a sledgehammer,popped off cleanly.they run the circlip style too,pain in the arse idea IMO but suppose its the easiest way to stop them coming off the axle

For reference, I did some of these not that long ago, and after giving it a heap of shit it wouldn't come off. Some old piner told me that you have to keep it all straight and inline when you are hitting it, sure enough, a couple of whacks and it came off a treat.

the easiest way for me was to take of inner boot and circlip and get at it from that end, then thread outer boot over the shaft/axle. the steel bands holding the inner boot are re-usable so i dont need to get new ones. inner boot looks mint too so no worries there.

only problem was extra mess due to inner joint grease being runny as shit....