Yellowspeed Dynamic Pro Sport Coilovers

Toot Toot Timmy

Ok so my Corolla is in need of new shocks all round and TBH it needs to be a lot lower, I have had a few old Corolla’s now and I have been down the lowering road a few times and approached it in different ways..

.. first was cut springs and shortened bump stops, believe it or not it handled quite well like this, seem cutting the springs found them at a great spring rate. Got sick of pink stickers and swapping out shocks and springs every second week..

.. Munroe GT GAS and Super Low Kings. Handled like ars and was soft plus rear springs were still in-captive after having shocks shortened and even at its crap uneven low stance..

.. Seeing it handled better OEM height I decided I would find a nice compromise with some KYB shocks and Low Kings, this was the best compromise and handled quite well.

I'm sure a lot of you have been down this road.

I would like to go quite low seeing this is a town car and more a daily and my priority for Handling over Looks is not so high but I don’t want to go Super lows and off the shelf shocks again and even if I do it will run me say $800 and no guaranty of desired stance.

I have found these and know they will fit and give me a whole host of adjustment.

Can anyone comment on them or has anyone tried them out, they seem to be a good price and have been offered at whatever spring rate I want.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/car-par ... 213954.htm

Thoughts on these?

Cheers, he is indeed a good bugger and seems great to deal with, his pricing was a decent amount cheaper than on TM and he doesn't seem the sort that would take off and close shop. I spose if they come with a warranty I cant worry.

At the price he has quoted it doesn't cost much more than a KYB/King combo of failure... not accounting for the CERT.

Sounds like he's already getting a pretty good deal.

I would think at that price, and for the car they are going in (no disrespect to the mighty GT) it is probably worth at least giving them a crack. The next step up with BC's or similar is probably around $1600 and then it keeps going up from there as you get into better brands. You can go used and pick up a name brand for cheaper that may be a better product, but how long will it last?

Thanks for the advice and I know exactly where you are coming from regarding cost and application.

I am told these are a good option to BC's, both are made in Taiwan and are a good quality product.

I have seen Tein's up for gabs but have had those in a car I owned before and even of the softest setting it was a joke.. Have have the opposite in the form of H&R's where they were just to soft and bottomed out all the time meaning I had to run the car no lower than I would with lowing springs.

A quick question, I have been told I can choose my spring rates and that's great only I don't know jack about spring rates, from what I have looked at and remembering this is not track car 7kg in the front and 5kg in the back look to be a good road rate?? Does this sound about right for a FWD?

Cheers

7 and 5 kgs sounds more like track car rates to me, especially for a light car like the Corolla. 7k is 400lb/inch and thats fairly firm. Even 5kg in the back is 280lb/inch and thats in the rear of a very light car, so I imagine there will be very little give.

I can't really help with what would be suitable for you, but I do think thats a little on the firm side for what you are after with your car, ie road car that handles well as opposed to a track car than can be driven on the road. You would probably be better to go a little softer on the spring rates and use the damper adjust to firm things up, rather than have hard rates that you need to slacken the damping off on to try and get them comfortable.

edit: I was talking to people in the know about using 7 and 9 kg springs in my Vectra, which would be track only and they were looking at me like I was crazy :lol: (I also want to put the firm rate in the rear to reduce understeer, but thats a whole different point and will be very much a trial and error thing)

I wouldn't put a set of Kings in anything, ever again. Sag, retarded spring rates, and captivity issues are a few problems I have encountered first hand.

Second hand is always an option with reputable brands too - Tein, Koni, Bilstein all have service backup in NZ, for references sake a rebuild on a set of Tein coilovers is typically $250 per leg.

I've used Koni yellow damper adjustable shocks in my old Type R Integra and was pretty impressed with them, they were teamed up with a set of Neuspeed springs (progressive) which made for a nice street ride but still proved to be worthwhile for track hacking.

I hate kings for the reasons you mention in the first post. This being oldschool, I'd prefer to either cut the springs and use some decent uprated (shorter) shocks that keep everything captive or even look at seedy als thread about making your own adjustable coilovers. Downside of this is you lose damper adjustability (are the ones you are looking at even damper adjustable?) but good thing is you can chuck some decent KYB or similar shocks in there and be done with it (does anyone even adjusts stuff on a road car anyway?)

I hate kings for the reasons you mention in the first post. This being oldschool, I'd prefer to either cut the springs and use some decent uprated (shorter) shocks that keep everything captive or even look at seedy als thread about making your own adjustable coilovers. Downside of this is you lose damper adjustability (are the ones you are looking at even damper adjustable?) but good thing is you can chuck some decent KYB or similar shocks in there and be done with it (does anyone even adjusts stuff on a road car anyway?)

The thing I like about adjustable dampers is you can match the shock to the spring with ease. I ran 12kg and 10kg springs in the Torneo and it rode beautifully, and handled bumps with excellent control after some twiddling. Rebound control is so important on a road car IMO, this is what I found the issue was with the D2's, the valving was not stout enough to withstand the springs rebounding... so I ended up with a bouncy ride, no matter what I tried with them.