Brake system experts, I need some help

Toucan

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It was left of center on the road, so I am starting my search from the left. Found a few drops from one of them, just not enough time in the day to actually get into garage and remove it. Once cylinder is out will take to bnt to see if its replaceable or send to apex. Looks to be from the rear of the drum though, so I am thinking maybe line or bleeder, bleeder is wet, hose is dry. How likely is a bleeder to fail without warning??

K, tell me what I am looking for, one cunty drum left, other 3 are off.

Fronts look like

img1927kr.jpg

Cylinder looks immaculate and is smooth etc, seals look great, piston has some corrosion at the outer end

img1937n.jpg

Rears are unfamiliar to me, no rubber boot and cunty to remove the shoe springs to get to it cause everything seems to be in the way.

img1939gd.jpgimg1941d.jpg

So far everything has been dry and no sign of fluid

Took master off and inspected it, looks good but I made the mistake of cleaning it out with brakekleen which caused the rubber to swell up. Got a new one and made up a new line to go from master to distribution block, bypassing the booster incase that is the issue. All bleeds up well so will let it sit overnight and see if any fluid goes down, if it seems alright will try put the wheels on tomorrow and see how it drives.

• 2 weeks later...

Well the new master has held fluid for a week now, with daily driving to work, and pedal feel remains good, so I guess the issue was with the old master or booster. Will look into the booster some week when I have more money.

Only issue now is a bit of an imbalance, it was pulling to the left quite badly. I tried changing a shoe side to side, but it didn't like that, so I put the shoes back in to their original drums. I cleaned everything with brakekleen and clean rags before assembly, and played with the drum shoe adjusters a bit more and its feeling better. With light pedal application it still pulls left, but stepping harder on the pedal seems to brake evenly. Oneday I will get the front cylinders resleeved for peace of mind but it seems to be working alright for the mean time. Hardest part is getting used to driving with no booster and having to push the pedal so hard!

Hah, can no longer purchase these cylinders.

Yea sticky cylinder I would agree with.

The flexible lines look good, however I did find a slightly deformed flared end when removing the line from master-booster, looked like the brake line nut had been overtightened. I guess there could also be more of these interfering with smooth fluid delivery to the cylinders.

But it is acceptable for now anyway