Toyota 3L Turbo Diesel running like arse

Yowzer

Yo.

I have just assembled a 3L, combined with a CT20 turbo, yadayadayada.

Anyway, finally got the thing running but it does not run correctly. It has some unusual misfire going on and refuses to rev properly. The more gas you give it, the worse it is.

We played around with the injector timing but it made no real difference.

It also coughs white smoke on the misfires.

Any ideas on what is goin on? Yeah? Nah?

Kinda want it drivable to wagnats, but that is looking kind of unlikely....

Chur

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

bled it up correctly?

all fuel pipes hooked up as they should be?

cracked the injector pipes at the injector end to bled injectors?

the misfire may be air in the system. I'd make sure this was dealt with first.

aside of that, you should set the pump timing up as per factory.

are you running the turbo injector pump? is this matched to the relevant injectors? you need a base setup before doing the old mix and match.

you should be able to get it revving fine statically before you need to worry about what it does under boosted conditions.

Yup. bled the crap out of it, fuel lines are where they should be, pretty sure the timing is where it should be

No boost compensator on the pump, it's just an NA one.

It should have run fine before hand, but as it was a new block with a fuel pump already attached, I can't really say.

Might swap the pump for my original one and see what happens.

do that

how long have you run it for?

have you cracked the fittings at the injectors to purge any air bubbles in the line form the pump to injectors. this is different to bleeding the tank to pump and is essential. only would take you five minutes. crack a line. fire up engine. run for a few seconds til it does weeze. tghten nut. kill engine repeat with all cylinders.

boost compensator shouldn't matter at this stage/ever. at worst you'll end up with an engine that smokes under throttle conditions til it gets boost. leave the fuelling stock til you get it running right, then add more fuel. remember, adding boost to a diesel isn't the same as adding it to a petrol engine at all.

not sure if they're different but match non turbo injectors to the non turbo engine for now. if the combustion chamebrs are different then it may cause issues esp with a 'cold' engine. it'll have precombustion chambers though so i owuldn't have thought it'd make that much difference.

most of that makes zero sense to anyone but me probably, though

Hi, Stab in the dark here but here goes. The vacuum operated butterfly in the intake, is it open? are you sure?

I had a 2LT do something similar because someone played with the Vacume lines.

I would aim to get the boost compensator on your injector pump at some stage but it shouldn't be a problem now.

One more thing you could isolate the miss my cracking a line, like pulling plug leads one at a time.

Yeah the little vacuum butterfly works, I suspect correctly. It moves around anyway.

I haven't touched the car in a while, but will give things another go tomorrow. If it still fails, I'll swap the pump.

Not fussed about boost compensation, I don't care if it vomits black smoke everywhere. It adds to the awesome.

how long have you run it for?

Had it idling for 10 odd minutes, maybe more, drove it around the carpark, blipping throttle etc.

I did discover the turbo I had on it was blasting a shit tonne of oil out of the compressor and into the engine, but swapping it for another turbo didn't really make any difference to how it ran. Hopefully the 2nd turbo isn't also leaking..

Not fussed about boost compensation, I don't care if it vomits black smoke everywhere. It adds to the awesome.

Im sure it work the other way. Watch it doesn't go lean under boost and vomit piston out the exhaust.

Valve clearences is another good point. Cam timing too? Double check that flapper in the intake isn't working back to front.

Uh, it's a diesel. It runs lean on everything but full throttle.

Valve clearances should be sweet as It was previously running fine prior to the block-swap

Cam timing is also sweet.

This is a very irregular, irratic miss going on. The only consistancy is it gets more frequent as the revs increase, to the point where the engine will not rev any higher and will lose power with more throttle due to coughing and fucking around so badly.

ive had a problem with a vhicle at work , it usedto idle correctly but as soon as it you revved it , it would cough splutter and blech white smoke everywhere , turns out somone had pulled the fuse for a electronic advance on th pump so it had none.

maybe somthing to do with the govenor?

'tis true. their 'throttle' is controlled by adding or removing fuel. not by opening and closing the air.

also diesels work in reverse to what petrols do, in that, more boost = cooler combustion chamber temperatures. if you wind more fuel in, you get to a point where you need more boost to cool things off so that you don't burn holes in your pistons.

running lean in a diesel jsut means you're decelerating.

Sorry chaps I still do not fully concur.

You guys are right about the engine dammage not being an issue, my mistake.

What I am saying is that the boost compensator on the injector pump adds extra fuel under boost conditions.

As Yowser said above when the A/F ratio does ritchen up at full throttle, but the turbo will be 1 bar plus ahead the injector pump.

You won't have enough fuel in there to make any more power.

I take it you will wind the pump fuel rail up? You won't see the full benifit of the turbo. Fit the compensator and then adjust the pump.

Sorry chaps I still do not fully concur.

You guys are right about the engine dammage not being an issue, my mistake.

What I am saying is that the boost compensator on the injector pump adds extra fuel under boost conditions.

As Yowser said above when the A/F ratio does ritchen up at full throttle, but the turbo will be 1 bar plus ahead the injector pump.

You won't have enough fuel in there to make any more power.

I take it you will wind the pump fuel rail up? You won't see the full benifit of the turbo. Fit the compensator and then adjust the pump.

winding the pump up manually does the same. the boost compensator just helps with keeping smoke at bay when off boost and under load in this circumstance.