Engine problems - Feels like my cars running outta gas

Taistorm

Hi there,

My chevette started playing up today when i took it for a drive down to the gasy. The cars pretty much been off the road for the last 4 months.

I took it for a drive from browns bay to whangaparoa a week or so ago twice and it was running mint, then all of a sudden today when i went to chuck some gas in, afterwards the engine started to slowly decelerate and jerk/jump as if it was running outta gas. trying to figure out whats gone wrong...

Its the little 1256cc and all ive done to it is switch to a 28/36dcd carb (rebuilt to suit said engine), new plugs, leads dizzy cap and rotor + oil change and what not.

You guys got any ideas bout what might be wrong? I checked for vacuum leaks but it was sweet and the timings spot on as I changed the belt about a 2 months ago and timed it perfect.

All helps appreciated! :bounce:

yeah sounds like fuel filter to me also.

If its been siting for a while, and also being of the britsh origin, then there is probabaly all sorts of shit in the tank.

Also you mentioned it was not till after you added fuel..... so this backs up that something might be in your tank, blocking up your fuel filter.

option two is that there could be water in your tank/ carb/ fuel

If you have water in your tank - make sure you have the tank halfish full (about 20-30litres in there) and chuck in a litre of methylated spirits - you'll smell like you are burning homeless bums for a week but it'll mop up any water in your tank..

Where is the fuel filter located?

My RX3 gets an issue with crap coming off the fuel lines, causing random jets to block....mainly because the fuel filter location is at the rear of the car.

Was the float bowl in the Weber clean before you put it in the car?

Is the accelerator pump working on the carbie?

Im going to buy a new fuel filter tomorrow to replace the current one and see if that makes a difference.

The car was 'juttering' a little before putting some gas in but it wasnt til after a minute of driving from the servo that it started to play up badly.

When I park the car up the car idles smoothly for a while then slowly begins to )

When I park the car up the car idles smoothly for a while then slowly begins to accelerate(Edit:) decelerate. The guys on the gm-t forum suggested it could easily be a distributor problem aswell (loose connection), so i'll also check that this weekend hopefully.