Setting up weber return line question

oldrx

Put this q on ausrotary too but thought you chaps prob have an opinion?

I want to set up a fuel return line on my Weber side draft (DCO). Im using the common holley fuel pressure regulator that isnt a return style im 99% sure. And a Carter pump (7psi 72 gal p/min from memory). NA 13b EP fwiw.

Would it work if i simply bolt on the fitting off of a nikki onto the Weber (it all bolts up fine btw) and use the itake and return fittings off of that? I know it has a little one way valve in it with a flat spring that holds it closed under low pressure that acts kind of like a fpr. This could be easily removed if it was too much of a restriction, and the valves hole (larger brass hole in big pic) could also be drilled out bigger if needed.

This is all after the holley fpr obviously.

Am i on the right track here?

This is the setup on Factory Nikki

NikkiFR.jpg

This is it disasembled

FRDisasembled1.jpg

This is it with valve and spring removed.

FRDisasembled2.jpg

Installed on Weber

NikkiReturnonWeber.jpg

I agree with what others have said.

Don't put a return on the Weber but do ensure that you have the float level set correctly and invest $60 in a Repco fuel pressure/vacuum gauge so you can set the FPR to something that works for you. I used 3.5psi with good results

Original Capri: 32/26dgav no fuel return line at all, the location is cast solid.

Currently fitted: 32/36dgav with return line. From a 78 Cortina - i kept the return line, fuel sender etc just incase i wanted to retrofit this to the capri.

I just added a Y connection in before the filter and ran the return line back to that. Hopefully the return line also has a check valve otherwise this could be allowing fuel to bypass the filter.

http://www.fordcapriforum.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=13

from above site - may apply in your case too:

"Did you know why the Weber 32/36 carb has a fuel return line? It's nothing to do with overfilling or anything like that! In fact, up to 1976 they didn't have a return.

The carb is designed to draw in the fumes from the fuel in the float chamber to prevent them building up. Trouble is, if you leave the car idling on a hot day, the fumes created are excessive and affect the mixture sufficently to increase the emissions leaving the exhaust.

With increasing legislation against pollution etc, it was decided to put in a return line so that a constant flow of cooler fuel was passing through the carb, hence reducing the fume build up and lowering emissions.:""

"Weber's official method for fitting the later carb to an earlier car is to T the return hose back into the supply from the pump a couple of inches back from the carb, using a T piece with a one way valve in it"