Radman's 1982 Mitsubishi L200

radman

Ok, so the dealer mentioned the ute dropped a little bit of oil. I topped the engine up with some new oil and drive out to Papakura. I get back and within 40min of getting home i go out to check the oil level to see a rather sizable patch of oil on the ground. Not one or two drops but several.

The dealer reckoned the leak was coming from around the fuel pump. Does this sound like a plausible explanation? There seems to be alot of oil on that side of the engine anyway so its hard for me to tell exactly where its leaking from. I also noticed that there is a couple of drops at the rear of the engine as well.

So i'm thinking possibly upgrade the engine sooner rather than later. Would a SOHC 4g63 bolt straight upto the gearbox and engine mounts or is it not that straight forward? I can't afford to have the it off the road for to long.

Would also like to keep the column shift and all that and funds are limited.

sohc 4g63 should bolt straight in it's place.

oil leak will almost definitely be the fuel pump. makesa horrifc mess all down the side of the engine. fix that and degrease the shit out of the enigne and you'll probably find it wont leak oil anymore :)

I hooned round in a celeste that developed the same oil leak and it seemed as thought it was coming out of everywhere.

fuel pump is a piece of piss to change, too.

Yeah i had an 82 EX lancer years ago who i sold to an OS member and one of the many things i did on that was a new fuel pump, it's all in much the same place etc.

I would do it sooner but flying to Wellington today for xmas.

i know were there are a couple just got one off him yesterday, he has a completely rebuilt one but it droped oil pressure... didnt seize up and don't beleave it run a bearing as motor had oil pressure light, and wen it didnt bring pressure up he turned it off and got pissed off and abandon project lol he wanted 450 for the motor. he has a couple of others but unsure of condition. is a local wrecker here in te awamutu

i know were there are a couple just got one off him yesterday, he has a completely rebuilt one but it droped oil pressure... didnt seize up and don't beleave it run a bearing as motor had oil pressure light, and wen it didnt bring pressure up he turned it off and got pissed off and abandon project lol he wanted 450 for the motor. he has a couple of others but unsure of condition. is a local wrecker here in te awamutu

Awesome! can you PM me his contact details or name of the wreckers etc?

• 2 weeks later...

My mate has an old 1980 eterna gsr sitting in his garage. The body is shagged from some old bird who thought it would be fun to drive into the side of it. The engine had a full rebuild not long before the crash.

My mate has offered me the engine and gearbox (sohc 4g63t 5dp man) etc but has no idea what he wants for it all. Any idea on what sorta price i should offer him? Will the engine and box bolt in to the ute without much trouble? or should i keep looking?

He may be willing to part out whats left of the body as well.