Compression test in Auckland

zep

I could if you were LNI..

However what do you call excessive - are you burning oil?

It may not be all doom and gloom..

I don't think I'm burning oil. It's not smelly and I don't often find I need to top up (even with a leak or two). Next time it's going hard I'll try take a video of it.

TBH - a compression test doesn't tell you anything about the condition of the motor.. Unless you have one crook cylinder or you are SUPER worn on all cylinders..

A compression test will tell you that you the difference between cylinders - if it shows 120psi or 200psi across all cylinders that doesn't tell you that its fucked..

I'm pretty sure I wrote a guide on compression testing and what to expect from it at some point in the past.. I'll try find it..

Hmmm I thought it was more comprehensive/oh well

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=21721&p=500011&hilit=+compression+test#p500011

Anyway as I said you may not get an answer you expect from a compression test.

A compression test will tell you which cylinder/s are fucked if it is a blown head gasket/ burnt valve/hole in piston etc by the variations you record between cylinders and it will tell you if you have all over super low compressions causing lack of power/running problems but you should know something is up by the lack of power before you even open the bonnet.

What it won't tell you is if you have somewhat worn rings etc. Just because the levels are 120psi or 190psi across all 4 - doesn't mean anything. They are both are within the realms of possibility in an engine that is not fucked.

Factors that affect readings are like different testing techniques, sluggish starter/battery, different oil in the engine, heat of the engine etc etc.

However if you have an initial reference point to work from - ie you did a full compression test and recorded them along with the conditions the engine was in then it may help you with what you are looking for (but the likelihood of that is slim I'm guessing..)

A cylinder leakage test will be better for what you need to find fucked rings but generally they have to be pretty poked to prove it..

If it was me I wouldn't worry about blowby TBH - I would just drive it and enjoy it and when I noticed a drop in power I would do something about it then..

I am pretty sure the gasket is not leaking. I've had the head off at the beginning of the year because I thought it was leaking, but it wasn't. At times I can actually see the heat mirage coming out of the scuttle pan under the windscreen. Need to cool the engine bay down as well but that's another issue.

What about hot oil? Does hotter oil emit more vapour? I'm currently waiting on getting an oil cooler in place.

Old and hot oil does create more vapour but generally that is burning off contaminants out of the oil like water and petrol. (you will get some of these through normal engine cycling)

Make sure if you have a mechanical fuel pump that it is not leaking into the engine and filling the sump with excessive fuel and that is what is vaporizing and burning off. Or your Injectors are not overfueling/have a bad spray pattern that is not properly atomising

But I am starting to over complicate the issue.. I would really need to see the vaporizing and see how bad it actually is.

No worries KK, thanks for the concern!

I'm going to do an oil change ASAP and see how that goes. The engine itself has never actually let me down since it was built (professionally I might add), I just worry! Will try get video asap.

CaM, I think you might be right. Drove it around again today and it didn't seem like there was any (or there was little) vapours. I'll put it down to condensation for now, as it was about 3 months between drives that I got freaked out.