Johns RMX250

johnnyfive

Yuh, so I have a 2000 Suzuki RMX250S. Bought it a few years ago while I still lived with my parents and had money.

Previous owners included a bike shop owner and someone who raced enduro's on it, So its had a fairly hard life before even getting to me.

The RMX is basically a slightly friendlier version of Suzuki's motorcross RM series. Includes larger fuel tank, wider gear ratios, softer power curve and a few other things I can't think of.

There were a few versions available, I think in NZ we got the one most like the RM's, tank was still plastic, no oil injection gear, tiny MX looking silencer, and a fairly big carb in comparison to other versions. Figures are about 40hp at crank, although I don't know if that applies to my bike.

My bike had had the wiring cut down to a bare minimum by a previous owner, and all the road gear tossed out.

There is where I got the bike.

P1030560-1.jpg

Fairly tidy but had lead a hard life. Supposedly had aftermarket Boyesen Reed valves, revalved suspension and a few extra guards and things about. Came with a Trailtech Vapour digital speedo/odo not unlike that on bicycles.

Has aftermarket handlebars and some bar riser/adapter things. Came with after market headlight that produces <40w of unfocused soft lighting. ACE.

It fit on the brumby.

P1030582.jpg

My first step was to learn how to ride it as it was 10000X better than anything I'd ridden and had about 3x the power, took just about 12months to begin to get comfortable on it.

I went some places

UNI_0248.jpg

UNI_0124.jpg

Saw some things

UNI_0820.jpg

UNI_0464.jpg

UNI_0818.jpg

UNI_0601.jpg

Did some things

NewYears0821.jpg

NewYears0815.jpg

UNI_0040.jpg

Had a pretty good run, with only basic maintenance stuff. Redone the rear suspension bush/bearings as the linkages are all greasable roller bearings. Cool.

Had to get the rear shock rebuilt once after it dropped it guts after a particularly hard ride.

Gave it a top end freshen up with new piston etc about 18 months back.

Everything appeared to check out ok

UNI_0977.jpg

Some pictures of the 3 stage shutter/powervalve system I find it fascinating.

UNI_0979.jpg

UNI_0980.jpg

UNI_0982.jpg

The 'hit' or where it opens is adjustable by turning a dial on the side of the barrel and changing the spring tension, its quite noticeable, but too low and its poos, and opening too high and theres a noticeable deadspot then a punch up far too high, this can be upsetting.

I'd always thought that it'd be neat to have it road legal, to aid in the ease of adventuring/harassing the public.

Thinking it would be a big drama, I didn't delve too far into the idea, until about 8 months ago I found that because the original owner had the option to register it at new, the chassis number is in the LTSA's system as "APPROVED FOR REGISTRATION".

So that means, all that is needed, is rock on down to your VTNZ agent, hand them the correct forged forms, and I was ready to register my 2010 Suzuki RMX250S. Then go and attain a WOF from any old bike shop.

So I picked up a few assorted bits, some trademe special dodgy tyres, and hashed together a woffable bike.

UNI_0182.jpg

UNI_0185.jpg

UNI_0187.jpg

UNI_0186.jpg

Then I drove some more places

UNI_0204.jpg

UNI_0208.jpg

Saw some more things

UNI_0218.jpg

UNI_0206.jpg

UNI_0205.jpg

UNI_0202.jpg

Did some more things

UNI_0215.jpg

UNI_0217.jpg

It was a fun time

102_0038.jpg

Lasted about two weeks, when I think, a piece of piston which had fallen off at a time unknown, let Mr Piston rings have a NOMNOMNOM into some ports.

UNI_0230.jpg

UNI_0226.jpg

Fast forward 6months to now, and I've finally scraped up enough money to try and repair it properly. Updates to follow I hope or I'm jumping infront of a bus.

• Like 1

Dear John,

I feel your pain as my rmx250 decided to drop the powervalve for the piston to have a chomp on,

however i believe i still have a spare bore that you can have (although i was never quite sure of the year)

sitting under mums house will go find it today.

That could be quite rad, I just sent my barrel away to get repaired but having a spare if its the same could be hella handy.

Manage to mangle up #37 in this picture somehow today. $13 or some shit available out of Japan, 3-4 week wait. FFFFFUUUUUU

thumb660660_DP025392.png

Mate says he'll have a go at machining one up as its just a plastic spacer.

Still might be able to have it completed for Christmas burnouts.

Dad had a 92 model RMX250 and loved it but it always had plug fowling problems. Awesome bike for trail riding, really smooth and torquey. Bike seized while warming up on the stand a few years ago after having a thrashing in a stock bike race at speedway. Still sitting untouched in the shed.

Now he has a recently imported (japan) 97 model thats like new. Took it for our first trail ride last weekend and he reckons its the best bike he ever had.

Dunno why they stopped making them TBH

i reckon they're underated as, mine was my first serious bike after a big gap in years

since been addicted to torque and ended up with the 450 which is great but does get a bit heavy towards the end of the day,

i'll put up any numbers i find on that bore tomorrow not sure if they'll swap between years.

Dad had a 92 model RMX250 and loved it but it always had plug fowling problems. Awesome bike for trail riding, really smooth and torquey. Bike seized while warming up on the stand a few years ago after having a thrashing in a stock bike race at speedway. Still sitting untouched in the shed.

Now he has a recently imported (japan) 97 model thats like new. Took it for our first trail ride last weekend and he reckons its the best bike he ever had.

Dunno why they stopped making them TBH

Sounds like he may have had something not quite set up right?

I believe the 98/99 models are fairly different but I don't have any of the oiling system, have never had any problems had any major problems with fouling up.

You should go drag it outta the shed, there seems to be heaps of used parts available for the pre '98 ones. Jase might even have a barrel for you :wink:

Do a flip!

i reckon they're underated as, mine was my first serious bike after a big gap in years

since been addicted to torque and ended up with the 450 which is great but does get a bit heavy towards the end of the day,

i'll put up any numbers i find on that bore tomorrow not sure if they'll swap between years.

Awesome, I agree heartily, I've ridden a few 450's and I love the smooth linear (seemingly endless) power.

I like my bike for what it is though, love the skittish silly nature of the twostroke (albeit a bit calmer and more managable being an RMX)

What year was your RMX Jase? I have a feeling the 98/99 had a different power valve design to the rest.

EDIT: Later

thumb660660_DP026457.png

Compared to

Earlier

thumb660660_DP026484.png

Triple edit, Looking at that picture, I think my bike is meant to have a thermostat..... This could be a slight development.

Ah yeah, would probably be of no use to me sadly, Although I am a master hoarder when it comes to parts. There could be some demand for them on trademe?

Mr.anglia4? This could be a sweet opportunity to do some flips!

Split bottom end, get crank done, get some cheap bearings and gaskets. Slap together with Jase's bore. Can pick up pistons <$200.

Time for flips!

So have been in touch with Ewan @ Hayatonka. Nice guy, seems to think he can get thermostat, gasket, and retarded plastic spacer here in approximately a week.

For a sharp price also.

The barrel should be sitting in Christchurch or something getting its shit sorted out currently. New/used flywheel turned up from Aussie early last week cause some magnets flew off mine.

Now. We wait.

Got a parcel here yesterday thanks to Mr Ewan @ http://www.hayatonka.com/

Speedy as shit delivery, and just what I needed.

No pictures cause it looks exactly like you'd expect, but I got the two main halves of the cases together over the crank and 'gearbox' side of things yesterday. Just need to work out all the million different length bolts and torque them together.

Then its just popping the clutch basket etc in, the stator, rotor/flywheel on and the bottom end should be sorted.

Currently waiting on Barrel which I believe should be back here early next week.

Might put bottom end in bike and plonk barrel/head on after that as space is a bit tightish.

Mix up some fresh twostroke mix, gear oil, clean and oil airfilter. Stick all the plastic bits on that are scattered around my garage.

Word!

• 2 weeks later...

Got it together on Friday night during work beers, ran for 20second, died, couldn't get it going, fretted around for a while, pulled off the flywheel and found the key sheared off, made another one from a piece of washer and whapped it back together, ran for another 10mins before it did the same again. Gave up for Christmas Eve.

Went back in at 8am on Xmas, made another key up out of some more washer, locktite + torqued up to impact gun setting #2.

Proceeded to run it in around town gently for an hour or two until clutch cable broke.

Went and did christmas rubbish. For the day.

Spent boxing day morning making up a new inner for clutch and welding some shitty ends on made out of bolts.

Ran it in some more on boxing day in the bush/round town/your face. My shittily made cable is fraying quite badly but will last until the shops are open I hope.

Did a skid for some kids. Sucess!

• 4 months later...
  • 3 years later...