xsspeed's aquatic transportation device

xsspeed

Mod's if this is no good here give it the delete

Hi guys,

I recently purchased a RIB centre console

P1020873.jpg

Already want to add a couple of items ahead of summer.

1. I want to put in more rod holder, currently has two on ski pole (see pic below)

P1020948.jpg

Should I add more like this welded to the ski bar, (same style) or should I clamp some to the support bars on the existing rod holders, or just weld others to the ski bar? Most rod holders seem to be stainless steel but my boat hull/ski bar is aluminium - where do I source aluminium rod holders?

2. Scuppers, the old scuppers perished and previous owner replaced with hose, (see pic above) the hose doesn't prevent water coming in at rest so you need to tie them up.

3. Eventually I want to make some sort of cover/seat/squab over the anchor well (division at the bow) - what's the best way to do this? Thick plastic with a squab on top could work? Is there anything that can be attached to the front pontoon as an anchor runner?

4. Also down the track I would like to add a canopy along the lines of this...http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motor ... .htm...but not too keen on that price tag - any suggestions alternatives sources or fabricators to make up a frame and upholsterers?

Will also be making up a portable livewell with a rule pump, but have this pretty much sussed bar fitting it.

Cheers

Steve

• 1 month later...

nice rib fella,

i would suggest you go see carlos (the steel surgeon) in manukau

re your fabrication requirements

I have found him most reasonable on price and the quality is 100%,

regarding bimimi top wow! thats some price i'd dare say you'd get all your requirements sorted

for less than that with carlos including the bimimi

I was struggling to decide what to get as a first boat - tinny for bashing/solid boats, IRB for accessing ledges for rock fishing, or a RIB. Thats when I got talking to UJ.

While I would have loved to get a wavebreak like his boat, they were just out of my price range second hand, and were only smaller units at that.

I trawled trademe for ages and viewed a few. My criteria was pretty wide to start with but then narrowed it down.

I soon decided an arancia or other tiller style boats weren't going to cut it, and wanted a centre console.

Alloy hull with a reasonable V became a must have, (sidenote - there are lots of fibreglass hull RIB's which look choice, but I wouldn't take them near a rocky ledge - may not matter for what you want though?)

Electric start was a must, had hoped for auto tilt, but didn't end up with this, (not a major, just a pain when approaching the ramp - have to turn and lift the motor)

I ended up posting a WTB on the fishing forum, and one of the 1st responses was a guy with this aquapro. A bit older than I wanted, but well looked after and within budget, so I had a sea trial - was awesome.

I probably won't be taking it near any ledges until next year when I plan to get it refurbed - find source of slow leak and repair, and layer the bow/pontoons with neoprene.

Motor needs a look at, idle is a bit touch and go (sometimes stalls/I suspect not enough fuel at idle from my backyard testing)

Pretty hard to fault the yamaha triple though, two smoke, 30 hp, gets it up over 20 knots which feels pretty quick in this size boat. If the motor ever dies I will go to a 40hp yammie (max hp boat is rated for)

carlos just spent a great deal of money upgrading his welder to put beadlocks on alloy speedway rims (midgets and tqs i imagine)

so he has the tools and craft to ensure your rod holders won't fall off.

we've had tinny's forever (sunk one when i was 5) then i've played in irb's for years through surfclub and now i have a 14ft

tinny to drag home from the rei with a 35 johnson tiller steer (keen for side console big bimimi top)

girlfriends parents have a 12ft aquapro which i've done a bit of diving out of and its brilliant,

it has canvas pontoon covers same as a tonneau which work well and don't get too hot/dirty in a light grey

• 4 years later...