Hilux axle seal replacement

zep

Only hard bit is if the axle is stuck, sometimes they fall out, sometimes you want to burn your car to the ground because its so stuck

he speaks the truth, much gas-axe action to try and get my hilux diff apart.

price wise i didn't think the bearings were too costly maybe 110 for the pair from partsmaster.

I tried to offer a simple no swear way of doing it... I did mine and they were original from 80's and even though it took a bit of effort they were a piece of piss and used gravity to remove em and the pipe made sure they went back in even.

The part number (or dimensions at least) for the seal should be written on the front face

Measure the diameter of the o ring profile then the diameter of the slot where it sits on the housing - that should give you the dimensions for the o ring..

Or SKF/Saeco Bearings should have the info for the diff or be able to match to a sample/dimensions you give..

• 1 month later...
Just did mine not long ago, that were bloody expensive!

dsc07095z.jpg

dsc07097.jpg

Found my hilux diff leaking also after dragging the other weekend, have the axle out, is it just that small black seal the only one to replace on the inside of the bearing there? First time I've done this.. Never had an outer o ring seal, so will chuck one of those back in to.

Also this breather business, where is that located, top of diff somewhere I assume? I didn't realise there was one till now and can't be to hard to find no doubt anyway.

yeh just the seal in the housing, the whole gold coloured part(in above pic) comes out. wouldn't worry about the oring too much if you dont have one. just use some gasket goo.

breather is up top above the head. little spring loaded metal cap thing