Leeky1's 1976 RA28 Celica GT

Leeky1

i see youve also posted you wont use bog... im fairly sure you will be, would be way too costly to have it entirely metal finished, and good luck finding beaters that can!!... if you epoxy it all correctly, and use decent bog, it will last.

make sure when you get to the paint process to have it 'spray bogged' or 'spritzed'.... will hold down alot of imperfections and give a high film build... be sure to let the spray bog sit for a wee while to properly cure and sink right into the panel beaters scratches.

all the resto jobs ive seen and been involved with have been done like this and will last forever!

i see youve also posted you wont use bog... im fairly sure you will be, would be way too costly to have it entirely metal finished, and good luck finding beaters that can!!... if you epoxy it all correctly, and use decent bog, it will last.

make sure when you get to the paint process to have it 'spray bogged' or 'spritzed'.... will hold down alot of imperfections and give a high film build... be sure to let the spray bog sit for a wee while to properly cure and sink right into the panel beaters scratches.

all the resto jobs ive seen and been involved with have been done like this and will last forever!

Cheers for the advice and comments guys. The main reason I went so far with the strip down is because I'm cheap and only wanted to get it sandblasted one time. I borrowed a drain camera from work and poked it into all the panels etc and pretty much found every little bit of rust in the entire thing. So made sense to clean up the internal structure first and then build it up. If I could get rear guards and a roof I'd be stoked but chances are slim to none so I'll just fix what I got.

As for bog, I realise it'll need bog, but I meant no grind/bog/paint going on if it's possible. Thanks for your tips, I like the fact you say if done properly, it'll last forever. When I showed my mate the car with the out of it, 1st thing he said was "it's fucked, get another body." :lol::lol: Yeah these thing are just sitting round everywhere. :rolleyes:

Car had some dodgy rust repairs about 10 or so years ago. the rust was ground/cut out. Steel plates tacked on/over, lead poured around the plate, then bog used to smooth things out. Sounds good in theory, but they didn't stop the rust and it kept eating away unnoticed.

Hey Leeky1, Nice to see a full resto happening on this car. It is pretty typical of these to have rust in all the areas you have it in.

You scored a reasonable car from Alan and probably got it just in time before the rust got worse. Genuine GT's are hard to get.

I did contact you when you got the car but I have a lot of parts for these so let me know when it comes to reassembly and i'll see where i can help.

I have the "brother" car that Alan had at the same time - both were used as backup "service" cars for his Targa rally exploits in his third celica that you probably saw when you got your one.

I have tidied up mine and use it daily - photos are deceiving it needs a lot of work :)

This might be some more inspiration for yours. :D

IMG_6590.jpg

IMG_6609.jpg

IMG_6595.jpg

Hi Mike. Great pics, definately make me keen to get mine up and running. I have to thank you, because you are the reason I managed to get my hands on this car to start with. I must admit sometimes I feel like it's going no where , but then I'll see a couple pics online of mint RA28's like yours and It keeps me going. As for parts, I don't supose you have or know of rear guards and a roof?

I was round at a friends yesterday and he's got at least one 28 rear quarter sitting around, I'll check condition and whether he wants to sell. Its in Perth though, are you up for shipping?

Cheers

Matt

Hmm sounds promising, but I think the price to ship from Perth would be astronomical. I think my gaurds aren't beyond saving.

working on cars that have been sandblasted is the best

Cheers for those mock ups!! Pink doesn't look too bad aye. :? Maybe with purple sparkle? :lol:

The only spare rear guard i had went to BigA for his RA25 liftback V8, and the roof on the one i wrecked had more holes than roof. Panels i have very few of, but all other trim/interior etc i do have a fair bit of.

Actually I was going through all the boxes of parts and realised the 4 pieces of trim that go from head liner down along rear of hatch are pretty poked. Wouldn't have some spares would you?

Hey I was reading an old copy of 4&rotaries at work today and yhey mentioned a guy called sleeektoy from toymod.com who reproduced his celica GT badges. Was that you??

• 2 months later...

Hey, sorry didnt see this update from a few months ago.

I may have the rear trims will have to see, most of them have the vinyl/plasticy coating peeling off them and need re-doing.

I was making replica badges but got some interesting emails about breaching copyrights etc etc so gave it up.

not as good as originals but usable. can be chrome plated too with copper spray and plating. or just painted

3bagde.jpg

IMGP5700a.jpg

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

Since the last update a lot has happened. I had the car shipped back down to chch last Dec.
It had a lot of patches and structural stuff done to it while up in Feilding. None of it makes for exciting project updates.

I've since bought myself a Mig and various resto toolery. So am still in the process of patching panels and plug welding back on to the car.

If anyone is interested I'll take a few pics of the car as it is and of my attempts at fabrication/welding.