Whats needed to put a rotary into a 323?

Seedy Al

ok, yes, this firstly sounds dumb as its me and rotarys are not really my thing

However, i have come a across a 2 owner 1980 323 wagon for a pretty sweet price, and now i am wondering whats involved in doing the whole rotary swap.

thins a really want to know

What sort of box should i be looking out for and is there a direct bolt in that will line up nicely with the motor.

is there a factory cross member I can use as opposed to making my own and which one.

Um, is there anything else i should really now etc?

looking at either a 12a or 13b bridge motor, but nothing set in any sort of stone action.\

Cheers guys

and any sort of adivce/ help slash any reason not to go onto rotor havik would be most awsome

the seedy of Allans

ok,

so you want to get your hands on a rx3 engine crossmember set

pretty sure the 323 gearbox crossmember works with a s1 rx7 box

s1 rx7 extractors fits in

323 driveshaft will work with the rx7 box

so will the speedo cable

youll need to fit a s1 clutch master cos i dont think the 323 was hyd from memory

i think it may be the rx3 radiator and oil cooler fits sweet,rx7 may also work.

these are a piece of piss to convert,thats why there are so many around..

oh,and if you want to go for a 13b with the rx3 crossmember youll need to slot the crossmember engine mount holes forward by 10mm and the same with the engine bracket as the 13b is about 20mm longer than the 12a...

peace

yea what he said and....

driveshafts depends on what replica rx3 crossmember you use some mount them slightly further back so need a little shortening and also require some massaging of the firewall for the clutch fork/slave rod

if u get the proper xmember then everything fits perfect driveshaft etc and gearstick lines up in the factory hole

use 323 gearbox crossmember with a flat plate as an adaptor to bolt to the s1 gearbox just needs 4 holes in it

s1 rx7 extractors can fit but require a bit of heating and tapping to clear the steering box

rx3/rx7 radiators fit pretty easily,rx7 ones end up having the oil cooler pretty low if you want to mount it under there in the factory location tho,(can al,ways tuck it up behind the grill) theres some cheap alloy rx3 ones i trademe i think which fit better

wiring is pieice of piss for anyone who knows what there doing (not me hahah) think ya only need to change bout 3 or 4 wires

there the same chassis as a rx3 from strut towers forward

Oh right freaken sweet as!

Yeah most things are prety piece of piss once i get the idea of what is needed

have an rx7 radiator and a oil cooler kicking round already

Will ask a few people i know and see what i can do about picking up a motor

Anyone got any good options for a motor?

Clearly not keen to spend heaps on a rebuilt one off trade me as i most likely wont keep the car for ever, plus if they can be sold for that then i can build for cheaper is my opionion haha

Allan

bro, get an import block, pull it down, wet and dry the chrome peel, j port it yourself, get hektik

but really use a s4/5 13bt or similar as the base, bit lower comp being turbo obviously but in general theyre cheaper than the rest to build if you just want a thrash motor (this is what you want) and probably easiest motor to get used bits for, well thats what i think but im biased

you could even go as far as using the injection stuff

oh alan you teddy bear

taupiri autostore seems to carry alot of rotary stuff just north of hamilton,

should be sweet with the later 13b

got a ride in a 323 with a 6 port and an ida after i towed him to the gas station,

wash pretty amazing how quick it got moving

• 3 weeks later...

I used to have a black rx323 with a 12a bridgeport (primary) and J port secondary. I found that the normal method of conversion puts the car our of balance at the front end. Thus personally I dont like rx3 crossmember - 323 type conversion (having done one myself and owned one), I would set the engine further back, and make the mounts on the 323 cross member, it would work out to be cheaper and have a better overall balance.

So all you would need then, is some 6mm plate, time, effort, and some old trailing arms to use for the mounts.

Push out the trailing arm bushes when gusseting the arms (for cert),

MUCH better weight distribution.

pretty sure the 323 gearbox crossmember works with a s1 rx7 box

s1 rx7 extractors fits in

323 driveshaft will work with the rx7 box

youll need to fit a s1 clutch master cos i dont think the 323 was hyd from memory

i think it may be the rx3 radiator and oil cooler fits sweet,rx7 may also work.

Assuming your running a 12 and S1box...

Rx3 engine crossmemeber is a direct bolt in but VERY hard to find now,

You need a series 1/2/3 rx7 gearbox with an early 626 style tailhousing if you want to use the factory gbox shifter hole and retain centre console as it was.

323 g-box crossy does not line up at all, you will need to make your own.

Rx7 extractors do not work as they will hit the steering box, Rx3 or custom is your best bet.

323 driveshaft will work however depending on diff head may require shortning.

You need s1/b16/62 style hydro master and to mod the clutch pedal to suit, 323 one will not work at all as its a pull type clutch.

Rx3 radiator bolts in under the cowel panel and looks tidy with remot filler, rx7 ones do fit but are harder to line up nicely.

If your going 13b you need a 12a front mount front cover, custom extractors, will need to mod firewall to clear clutch slave cylinder, and will need to use a different rear tailhousin if you want retain factory 32 shifter position

yea but once the car is loaded with skanks the balance would be perfect :lol:

er, .. I haven't seen an rx323 that had good front end balance yet, they tend towards bump steer, because of the location of the engine (so far forward). Now I think about it, that doesnt make alot of sense, .. perhaps the 323 suspention is just a bad design, because the bump steer issue shouldnt be effected by the engine, or maybe it's because every one I've looked at has been lowered into the 'weeds'.

pretty sure the 323 gearbox crossmember works with a s1 rx7 box..

It doesnt. I think people put a plate with four holes in, the plates about 150mm long, hangs of the back of the crossmember, and attaches to the g/box that way. Dont think thats legal now days, but hey my one was built in 1994, and I sold it in 1998. .. long time ago.

i thought it did.. thinking about it the box came with the crossmember..

but bump steer in these are propbably due to choppys or just rediculously low..

ive driven a couple and they didnt drive bad at all..

drove my mates rx2 that was quite low on f90's,handled like shit

It doesnt. I think people put a plate with four holes in, the plates about 150mm long, hangs of the back of the crossmember, and attaches to the g/box that way.

This is exactly what ive done in the past. Works wonderfull

It doesnt. I think people put a plate with four holes in, the plates about 150mm long, hangs of the back of the crossmember, and attaches to the g/box that way.

This is exactly what ive done in the past. Works wonderfull

yea thats what i did too, dont see y there wud be any issues