Custom Balljoints / RCA Options

mikuni

Does any one know of a place that makes custom balljoints? I'm not sure how best to go about it, whether I need to get something machined up and get them to put it together, or whether they can actually make what I need themselves.

there is a place in auckland that rebuilds them and im pretty sure if you supplied details they could mash some shit together. I got my ms55 ones done there, i sent them through camelot but its another crowd that do it so if you can find out will be cheaper than with camelots charge on top. think ive got it written down somewhere will have a geeze

That would be cool if you could suss those details. I remembered you had those MS55 ones rebuild. I seem to remember you had it done through BNT? Maybe I should go and see the ins and outs with them first.

Also have managed to find some pictures of what I'm wanting to do. They seem to do it in the states a lot, so thats promising. Hopefully people won't think I'm stupid for trying it.

I have a standard lower ball joint like this.

LowerBallJoints.png

And I want to have an extended shaft like this made up, then have the ball joint rebuild with this shaft in it.

224150.png

It is effectively creating a drop spindle without the need to piss around with the hub itself.

I don't have the drawing capability to draw it do a cnc-able level. If I just gave them the ball joint and said extend this so its 75mm longer do you think they'd be keen?

Also whats the name of the place?

yo, cant help but I'm keen to hear how this works out for you, could be a good way to correct roll centre in lowered old fords.

Yea dude, same thing for FWD stuff. There are a few people on here who could CAD that up for you no worries, split the ball-joint you want elongated, send it to them and say "hey boe cad this then make it x longer in the shaft, here's some beers". I would also be down for this but haven't used solid works since uni, so 3+ years, need to get a copy again really

is it strut suspension? does the steering arm bolt up on down into the taper? this will need changing also. or rack repositioned.

if its strut then i would recomend a pillow ball (??) like a rose joint end. retained in a sleve that threads into factory

ball joint location. then a tapered shaft to fill the gap. much eaiser to change roll center. make it with shims/double nuts ect to adjust

Yeah, its just a relatively conventional front wheel drive mcpherson strut setup, with a ball joint fixed in the lower control arm similar to below.

shock_strut.jpg

People overseas run a ball joint extension on similar setups but my struts don't really allow this. I've had a think about a few of the options I have and I think this is going to be the one that involves the least amount of fabrication for the desired result.

if its strut then i would recomend a pillow ball (??) like a rose joint end. retained in a sleve that threads into factory ball joint location. then a tapered shaft to fill the gap. much eaiser to change roll center. make it with shims/double nuts ect to adjust

Thats a nice suggestion. I think I'll look into that because it uses existing parts and allows more adjustment if it isn't quite setup right in its first incarnation.

The Saab lower control arms that I was going to use wouldn't be suitable for this, and I don't think the Vectra ones would be that good either, although I do know someone who might be able to make up a pair of custom lower arms for me with given specs.

For use on the road I'd imagine this would need design/material cert, It would need to be case hardened to extend the life of the ball too. Using rose joints to lower the steering rack tie rod end is relatively easy, but most the time it gets a bit dodgy modifying cast or forged control arms to accept one, hence why those adjustable camber control arms are very hard if not impossible to certify for road use. Still very interested. For a race car this could be a very useful trick.

For use on the road I'd imagine this would need design/material cert, It would need to be case hardened to extend the life of the ball too. Using rose joints to lower the steering rack tie rod end is relatively easy, but most the time it gets a bit dodgy modifying cast or forged control arms to accept one, hence why those adjustable camber control arms are very hard if not impossible to certify for road use. Still very interested. For a race car this could be a very useful trick.

i didnt mean use a rose joint. but a spherical bearing mounted in a housing thats held into the arm in the same way as a factory ball joint is. no welding or dodgy parts. just some clever machining.