5VZ-FE Conversion

japawagons

Was looking in the engine bay of a Toyota Granvia the other day and thought that it's engine would fit quite nicely in my crown.

Same as late surfs, prados etc

Has anyone seen these motors put in anything else?

3.4L V6, looked to be a 60 Degree, should go alright.

Or are these motors heaps of shit and should I not waste my time.

.... Thoughts?

They are pretty sweet, JZ would be a million times lusher though, similar power and fits nice. What kind of sump arrangements do they have would be my first question as this is where the crown bay is tight. If they are alloy 2 piece like most late model stuff you could have quite the fab job to make it fit.

They blow head gaskets and crack the blocks the VZ series do. Lucky it's a 5VZ-FE and not a horrible 3VZ-E which is just a ghastly engine. Yes they are very thirsty, but most larger capacity engines lugging around that sort of weight would be. I would imagine the engine in a lighter Crown would be much more economical. The MZ series V6 is a far better engine.

/get a JZ.

I've got a 1JZ sitting in the shed but think i'd rather sell it for a 2J.

Doesn't sound like the most reliable engine in the world.

They are expensive engines go for anywhere between 1 and 2.5k.

Pretty keen to keep the crowns lush column shift auto bench seat arrangement.

Are you finished with the 4M in your wagon by any chance Spencer?

obviously chaining 2 3.8 v6's together is the answer

obviously really i would have suggested that had it been on a $500 budget and not have been a pushrod free zone,

1jturbs and auto would be sweet long as theres no front mounted anything,

or just uz the shit out of it run auto be lush run commodore rack an pinion for more room :lol:

Not keen on turbo set up, especially as an auto. Can't stand turbo set up's on a cruiser / daily, they just don't have the drive ability needed.

Would prefer a bigger capacity NA set up. I'm a fan of keeping it in the family. I ain't gonna whack a Gm motor in my Toyota.

What car's came out with the Mid sump Jz's?

Finding the mid sump is like find rocking horse shit. By the way theres a 1996 ? cresta or majesta or somthing at pick a part mangere with a 1 or 2 jz in it. Got an untouched wiring loom for ya JZ engine.

1g out of an altezza would suck, I have nothing against them but if your doing a conversion you want more beans than that. Plus its aftermarket EMS territory unless you wire in the ignition barrel etc from the same car

Uz in a 60 series is pretty tight fit around the wishbones, but can be done, tip the motor on the piss, log headers etc

You are getting into epic conversion territory, instead of weld up mounts and go if you find the correct sump JZ. Rear sump ones have been modified for a crown, but you cant sit it as low and you loose oil capacity, sams old wagon was like this. I'd maybe try Toyota for a mid sump set-up, I know a guy on toy mods got one new for ~$3-400, they are not that impossible to find R100 is just impatient

Well i'm in no hurry for the JZ conversion, will keep an eye out for a sump set up, not 100% sure where I wanna head.

So not going to even consider a Altezza 1G, bit better down low in the Altezza then the 3S but still a pretty average engine, especially for a fat heavy crown.

Don't want to do a UZ because 1 there's more motors in the world then god damn UZ's, and 2 I want a nice clean, tidy conversion,

and I don't think a wide UZ tilted and messed around to fit will do it for me.

Probably going to stick that 5me in it to get it moving then aim for a 2jz in the future. But I still reckon the 5VZ-FE could be an option.

To be honest a 1MZ-FE would be a better option than the 5VZ-FE, despite the reduction in capacity. Trouble is they didn't come out longitudinally mounted, but they still share the same bellhousing pattern as the earlier VZ series V6 so gearbox/trans shouldn't be much of an issue.