Mounting serge tank in enginebay?

David

Just a bit of a brain storm and getting prepared to change over the EFI.

The Hillman fuel tank isn’t well baffled. Anything under half a tank and a sharp corner makes the low pressure pump for my carbs setup go crazy. So Installing EFI isn’t going to make things any better.

A serge tank looks the way to go.

But I don’t want to fill the boot of my car up with a serge tank and an array of pipes that can be damaged by things rolling around in the boot. So putting the serge tank up front with a high pressure pump in the massively empty engine bay looks a good option.

Any reason why not?

Macabre did it with his ex and it worked perfectly, but he has since moved it I believe, or plans to. The danger factor is slightly higher (more hoses=more risk of one popping off or similar) and also the room issue.

I think it would suit an application where the boot cavity isn't sealed from the cabin.

weld baffles round pickup in stock tank? have done this to a few cars with good results. bonus being theres no extra junk. pipes, tanks, pumps etc..

you'l only blow yourself up, if your retarded and dont clean the tank out properly before hitting it with the angle grinder.

Engine compartment is the best place for it because you can use the stock pump and lines.

You're no more likely to pop a hose than with a stock setup unless you're rough. That's where my one is going when it's time to do it. It gives the advantage of being able to use more than one high pressure pump if running EFI without the need for more pipes from the back to the front.

Steve

• 2 weeks later...

Good feed back.

Been walking around the car working it out. Came to the conclushion that there is no protection between the boot space and the cabbin of this car from a exsposive fuel leak. So the engine bay gives a higher level of protection between the people in the car and any leak. This could also be offset by the fact there is more sorces of ingnition up front.

There is going to be high pressure fuel lines in the engine bay reguardless of were the serge tank is mounted. The serge tank only has low pressure comming and going anyway.

So came to the conclushion I will mount it up front. Its going to be mounted down by the steering box out of the road of dammage and have a cover over it to prevent any fuel accidently getting near the electrical or hot parts.

Didn't like the boot idea much. I often throw my mountain bike in the boot and I would just end up stuffing things. Also at the moment I can just close the boot lid if I take the front wheel off my bike and just leave my bike in there all the time. Could be handy if my car busts in the middle of noware.

Anyways I still have to run a return line to the main fuel tank.

Just a new sub problem.

I've noticed in most EFI fuel tanks the fuel pump, level sender, and fuel line and fuel return line all enter through the roof of the fuel tank. In my car they enter through the end of the tank under the floor. I need to get a return line in and wouldn't suit mounting in the roof of the tank as the roof of the fuel tank forms the floor of my boot and any fittings could be damaged by gear in the boot.

Was looking at the fuel filler that is attached to the fuel tank with a clamps and a cupple screws into the body work. Instead of welding the tank was looking at just pulling the filler pipe off and welding a tap into it for the fuel return line.

No welding or modification of my origonal tank. would put the fuel return line in a well protected area also.

*surge

Pumps make lots of noise. It will annoy you. insulate the pump/bracket/mounts as much as possible to stop vibrations.

LOL the electric pump at the moment is mounted low on the firewall right behind the gas peddle and I can fell it with my right foot all the time, as the peddle is hinged off the floor. I can always feel if I'm running out of fuel with my right foot when the pump starts thumping real hard. It does make a lot of sound but can never hear it once the motor is running.